Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The best car that I have ever owned, my 2003 GLS 1.8T Variant, is about to reach 10,000 miles, and I was wondering what was involved for a few of the items to be serviced.

The VW site lists:

1. Engine Oil - change
2. Engine Filter - change
[Did these at 5,000 miles, so no problem doing again.]
3. Windshield Washer Fluid - check level
[Simple - did this numerous times already.]
4. Automatic Shift Lock-check operation
[What exactly should I be checking?]
5. Brake System - check damage/leaks, pad thickness, fluid level
[What type of damage would there be? Brakes are working fine and fluid level is fine, so I assume no leaks.]
6. Wheels - rotate from front to rear
[No need for this as I just changed from snow tires/rims to summer ones last weekend (maybe I should have checked brakes then).]
7. Air Bag System - check function/damage
[What do I look for here?]
8. Battery - check electrolyte level
[After looking at the battery quickly from the top, I can't tell where to check this or add distilled water.]

Thanks in advance. This site has been terrific (at draining my wallet :) ).

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
I think I'm going to be the odd-man out here. I don't think it's a good idea to DIY for regular service intervals because VWoA will be quick to void that warranty! Keeping your receipts for oil changes, that will keep you covered for some items but other items should be inspected by a shop! Some checks require you to hook up a VAG-COM to the car.

You don't want to start messing up at 10K because when something serious comes up, those few dollars you saved DIY will come back and bite you.. I know that stealership prices are expensive, but if you provide your own parts or even use an idependant shop that specializes in VW you can save some $$$ and still keep your warranty intact.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
i decided from day one to always go to dealerships for service, but provide my own parts. I have a 7/100k warantee and don't want anything to mess it up.

FWIW

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was thinking about having the dealer do all the maintenance, but when I saw so many others doing their own maintenance and sharing nightmare stories about dealerships, I thought maybe it would be better to do some of the easier stuff myself.

The 20K and 40K mile services do appear to be ones that I should not tackle myself due to warranty reasons. However, checking battery electrolyte level shouldn't cause any warranty issues besides the battery itself. So I'd be willing to take the risk on these easy ones.

With all the excellent collective experience of ClubB5, and much more difficult maintenance and upgrade projects completed, it's hard for me to believe there are not any out there doing all the maintenance themselves.

Anyone do all their own maintenance?

Swami and gig103, are either of your cars chipped? Would you risk installing a chip and voiding the warranty? Just curious as to your level of cautiousness. Thanks for your perspectives. It it making me reconsider.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts