Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1999 1.8T was laying idle (not started) for a month or so. The battery went dead, could not revive it. So I jump it with another battery. I attempted to jump the car with a power pack you know thew ones you buy in the store. The car will turn over get fuel and start. But for only 1 or 2 seconds. The shut off. If I hold the gas pedal down the engine will race and the rpms will rise but and simotaniously the engine and the rpm,s will drop and shut off completely. Can you possible give me something to go by. Many Thanks

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Step 1:
Check for vacuum leaks (requires a $15 tester from any auto store)
Check for blown fuses ($10 mini multimeter from home depot)
Do a throttle body adaptation (the real way to do this requires a vag-com. a poor-boy version of this is to turn the ignition to "on", but don't start the engine, and wait two to three minutes before turning the key back to "off" and removing it)

It seems like a temperature issue or a fueling issue... you may need a new temperature sensor, or the fuel pump is malfunctioning. However, there are a bunch of other possibilities. Can you get the car scanned for error codes?

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Try some dry gas, and fuel sytem cleaner like Techron as well.
Probably moisture (water) in the gas and/or varnishing of the old gas.

Bring the revs up... that should help. Just keep starting the engine
until it's warmed up enought to bring the revs up.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My 1999 1.8T was laying idle (not started) for a month or so. The battery went dead, could not revive it. So I jump it with another battery. I attempted to jump the car with a power pack you know thew ones you buy in the store. The car will turn over get fuel and start. But for only 1 or 2 seconds. The shut off. If I hold the gas pedal down the engine will race and the rpms will rise but and simotaniously the engine and the rpm,s will drop and shut off completely. Can you possible give me something to go by. Many Thanks
Did you ever figure this out?

·
Registered
28,326 Posts
After 13 years, I certainly hope so. A new battery and throttle body adapting should have solved his problem.

Reactions: Iowegian
1 - 5 of 5 Posts