Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This car was running fine the other day and went out to start it today and it cranks but won't start. I pulled the plugs, replaced them and still no go. I do notice that after I crank it awhile the oil pressure light comes on. My oil pump could be shot (197,000 miles) but would that present itself as a no start situation? There are no codes except for a positive deviation in the charge pressure system. That has been there awhile. Any suggestions on where to start? I am gong to run another VAG COM test and then check for fue pump action. The only wierd thing I noticed today was that there was water under the battery. Cleaned out the drain, reinstalled the battery... But the no start was present befre that.

I am getting nervous :(

Dan

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Do you have a manual trans? Could be a failed switch on the clutch pedal.
It's not the clutch switch. The car will not crank if the clutch switch is open. Since the car cranks, it rules out the clutch switch / neutral switch for Tip, ignition switch, and the two starter interlock relays.

Did you check all your fuses? Especially, fuses 28, 32, 34 with a multimeter? Does your fuel pump start up? Open trunk and have someone try to start while you listen for fuel pump to start up. If you don't hear it, then fuse 28, fuel pump relay (208), or fuel pump may be bad.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got it started and it runs fine, but man did I have a hard time. I really thought it was the fuel pump or oil pump or some other significant failure. The best I can guess is that when my brother in law moved the car up the driveway a bit on Thanksgiving day, then that little bit of start-up and then quick switch off flooded the cylinders (?). This has happened to me three times during the past 7 1/2 years of ownership... Funny how you forget these things at times like this. Thanks for the suggestions of help

dan

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,298 Posts
Funny you mention that flooding the cylinders thing. I ran mine today for about 5 secs and then shut off after realizing I didn't need to move it. Started it up a few hours later and it ran really rough for about 30 seconds or more.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts