Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
B5.5

Is it at all possible to check and/or adjust the wastegate actuator with turbo still in place in the car ?

It looks like the threaded actuator arm is mounted too crowded/poky to be able to check/adjust it, Or ?

( I need to check if the actuator spring has got weak )

馃

Registered
You can check it but adjusting it, not so much. You will need to remove the exhaust so you can visually inspect the bypass valve while actuating the wastegate with a pressure source. At least you will know what your in for without removing it. They do fail a lot. You can partially remove it to adjust it but you will be 30 minutes away from complete removal. Keep a close eye on the brass nuts for the exhaust. $10 apiece. Youtube has plenty on this subject.

Registered
unless you pull the cat and drop the turbo,almost impossible to adjust the start point ,the spring within the diaphram I doubt has gone bad, if anything the rubber diaphram at some point may develop a hole in it ,which I have never heard of. To test it you have to be careful not using more than 10-15 psi slowly...what makes you think the spring has "weakened"?

Registered
I tried once but eventually replaced the whole turbo. The shaft for the wastegate goes through the Iron casting without a bushing, and wears oval. But by that time, the wastegate itself may be totally gone as mine was (found in the cat). For $110 or whatever the Ebay thing was, it was a better solution.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts