Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just started having a problem with my car jerking hard when shifting from park to drive. The car makes a loud "thunk" sound when it happens. I also got another CEL around the same time, the code for it is 17521 Oxygen Sensor.

I just replaced my MAFs two weeks ago and the car was running fine until now. All of a sudden started this new problem.

There is another link that talks about it as well:

http://www.passatworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96197

Has anyone had any experience with this? Is it a transmission problem or would the oxygen sensor cause this king of problem?

I sure am discouraged with this car, has to be one of the worst cars I have ever had. I have had a list of problems in the 5 years and 81,000 miles I have owned it. If I could just clear the CEL and have it running decent I would trade it in.

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,267 Posts
An O2 sensor would definitely not cause this.

If you are under warranty, let the dealer look at it.

What year is your car? If it's a 2000-2001, IIRC there was a problem with the TCU coding and the dealers have a reflash for it. However, if this is the problem I would have expected that you would have experienced it way before now.

If you are no longer under warranty, the first thing to try is a tip fluid change. Add some LC (Lube Control) to help clean out any valves that may be clogged. Tranny holds 9 qts. You can get 3 out by draining the plug, 6 out by dropping the pan and filter, take your pick. If you don't know what LC is: http://www.lubecontrol.com/

·
Registered
26,983 Posts
It should be unrelated. A bad snub mount,motor mount or trans mount can cause a thunk when shifting into gear. So can low trans fluid.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My car is a 2000 with 81,000 miles on it. I have never had a problem before and this problem developed suddenly.

Can you change out the transmission fluid with the car up on ramps? Do you have to buy the transmission fluid from the Dealer? If not, does anyone recommend a brand and supplier?

Thx for your assistance,

Erik

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I checked on my warranty and it is covered for 10/100,000. Has anyone else experienced anything similiar? I am trying to get an idea of what it will cost me when I go to the Dealer.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
The 10yr/100k miles powertrain warranty will cover the transmission but not the O2 Sensor. The emissions control system warranty for the sensor is 2 years/24k miles. There are threads on the O2 replacement and costs at dealer. IIRC, around $250 - $300 for the O2 sensor part + installation at the dealer. You can replace it for yourself for a whole lot less. IIRC, some member have paid around $25 for a generic 02 sensor that has to be wired in to the existing connector's wiring. IIRC, it's about $100 +- for the OEM sensor with connector. You can reset the CEL if you have a code scanner and it should stay reset for a while but may come back if the sensor is bad. 17521 is Bank 1, Sensor 1 internal resistance too high. I believe sensor 1 is the one in front of the catalytic converter but not sure.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My problem is now gone! It was the last straw for me when I took the car to the dealer and they wanted $220 to look at it.

I would never recommend doing business with Tracy, CA VW! The service department that they have is terrible and they charge twice as much for parts as other dealers.

It is a relief for me and especially my wife to have the passat gone. We had numerous problems with the car and many were rediculous.

The list of problems:

1. CEL - Took to dealer (vacuum hoses)
2. Severe oil leak - Took to dealer (replaced head) after 6 weeks of waiting
3. CEL - Took to dealer (vacuum hoses)
4. Replaced Rear brake pads at 30,000 miles (mostly highway miles)
5. CEL - Fixed myself (installed silicon vacuum hoses)
6. CEL - MAFs (replaced myself)
7. CEL - Oxygen Sensor
8. CEL - Transmission problem (ECM listed as problem on VAG-COM)
9. CEL - MAFs (the reman MAFs was bad

The dealership is dealing with 7,8 and 9 since I traded it in. I was sick and tired of the CEL and problems with this car. Of all the cars I have had experience with, the Passat had to be the worst.

As far as ride, comfort and driving the car go......it was great! It just didn't want to run. :(

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
kenblasko said:
The 10yr/100k miles powertrain warranty will cover the transmission but not the O2 Sensor. The emissions control system warranty for the sensor is 2 years/24k miles.
He's in CA, emissions warranty's seem to be longer in CA. I can't quote what it is on a passat, but I know on many cars 4-6 years longer than standard is normal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts