Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
High all,

Just had 80K tuneup last month. Yesterday my 1.8T stumbled on acceleration. What was that, I thought.

5 miles later, it happens again, CEL light comes on, then turns off. Car is fine.

Today, small hesitation again, but no CEL.

Only thing that has happened recently was new tires installed, but it can't be that.

ideas?

· Registered
1,314 Posts
That's odd as they usually fail in grand style.
You got that right! Like the OP, I too had an 80K service last month. Last week I drove from FL to Ohio, and a few miles out of Cincinnati I got the dreaded flashing CEL. Car running like crap - no power, couldn't get it over 30 mph or so. Had it towed to a local dealer. Problem was bad coilpack #4, so thankfully nothing major.

I had all 4 coilpacks replaced under warranty at around 20K miles or so, with no coilpack issues since. It just seems "coincidental" that it went bad right after the 80K service, just like the OP. Wonder if that coilpack got damaged someway when they were changing the plugs? Maybe fell on the floor or something?

I understand now why some of you carry a spare coilpack or two in your trunk.

· Moderator/Administrator
26,033 Posts
You got that right! Like the OP, I too had an 80K service last month. Last week I drove from FL to Ohio, and a few miles out of Cincinnati I got the dreaded flashing CEL. Car running like crap - no power, couldn't get it over 30 mph or so. Had it towed to a local dealer. Problem was bad coilpack #4, so thankfully nothing major.

I had all 4 coilpacks replaced under warranty at around 20K miles or so, with no coilpack issues since. It just seems "coincidental" that it went bad right after the 80K service, just like the OP. Wonder if that coilpack got damaged someway when they were changing the plugs? Maybe fell on the floor or something?

I understand now why some of you carry a spare coilpack or two in your trunk.
I think you're on to something. Two of mine went out after the dealer replaced my VC and CCT gaskets.....hmm. They replaced them all under warranty anyways.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.