Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1.8T Stalls above 45mph when clutch depressed

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  PassatX 
#1 ·
I've got a weird one to diagnose...
2001 1.8T AUG 5-spd. 101k miles
Car idles fine during starting, driving, except if I am driving above 45 mph (or maybe 40) and I depress the clutch (foot off gas) the engine stalls. No CEL, no codes, you barely even notice because the engine is so quiet! If I'm still moving I just release the clutch (still in gear) and car starts right back up like nothing happened. Below 45 mph the car idles just fine. And at all speeds it drives fine, nothing out of ordinary.

I did notice a little bit of hunting during a cold start this AM (1500-2000 rpm) but I didn't have time to mess around, so I just drove it.

?? Something to do with idle air control? Vehicle speed sensor? Coolant temp sensor? I don't want to just start changing parts at random...I can take it to a dealer if I want that!!

I have VAG-COM and bentley manual.

Thanks in advance.

#3 ·
have you pulled any codes off the car with the VAG-COM? I'm guessing something is wrong with either the MAF or the throttle body. do the throttle body adjustment first - I dunno if you can do as TWhite suggests, since yours is most likely drive-by-wire, so you may have to use the vag-com to do so.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.