Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my wife drovemy Passat today as I got her Volvo inspected and she said: wow...that thing just doesn't go at all! (Yes, I did explain to her torque vs revving the 20V to get power...)

I guess my engine has been hesitating for a while and I just got used to it, but I should get to the bottom of it.

Symptoms:

On heavy throttle, when the engine reaches about 3000-4000rpm, the car just hesitates and loses power, then it sputters a bit and gets going again. I had a passenger in the car the other day and they notice it as well.

I've got a 99 1.8T, 108,000kms, plugs are ok (OEM), plug wires are maybe 20k on them, new timing belt, I cleaned the throttle body the other day. I had the codes pulled when I got my timing belt changed 2 weks ago and it was showing throtle body. My CEL then came on the next day the codes were cleared.

Any thoughts? Vaccum lines?

-Mitch

99 Passat 1.8T
04 Volvo XC70
69 Triumph GT6+

·
Registered
320 Posts
Clearing codes should not create a CEL. Also what was said with the throttle body? Does it not know throttle position, or was it something else?

I would suspect a boost leak or a bad sensor as opposed to a vacuum leak.

Also, you car shouldn't have plug wires, it should have coil packs.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Also, you car shouldn't have plug wires, it should have coil packs.[/QUOTE]

Eh yeah...oops...wrong car.

Actually, I don't know wha the throttle body code was for, they just told me throttle body.

I'll check out maybe boost leak...

Thanks!
-Mitch

·
One more time, and I'm outta here
5,841 Posts
I have a 01 1.8T and I had the CEL come on. Codes were system too lean and misfire codes. I found a vaccume line to have a split in it.

·
Registered
28,326 Posts
I would confirm the timing belt alignment too. If it is 1 tooth off, low end power drops off.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts