Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 1.8t Passat Manual with 163k miles on it, today I started my car and let it warm up then it was idling pretty rough and felt like my engine was shaking (almost felt like an earthquake lol) I then notice my CEL was flashing, then I turned my car off & on it felt fine after I turned it off , I started driving coming to a stop and then again I feel my car shake really rough as it was happening my CEL was flashing after that I drove off and went to work, I do notice the car to lack some power after 2nd gear going anything over 3,000rpm. I recently got my timing belt replaced with a new one at 160k miles. What could possibly be the issue going to take it to my mechanic tomorrow and see what it is.

·
Administrator
23,296 Posts
First, stop driving it. Flashing check engine light means a lot of misfires and all that unburnt fuel is going into your catalytic converter and burning inside, which will ruin it. The timing belt is probably unrelated, but first things to check are the coil packs and plugs.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
agree with VG and EM, as mentioned before pulling and wriggling old coil packs out after/with high mileage and age leads to failure, new set of plugs and coilpacks will solve problem ,you can save a buck by doing it yourself ,really easy to do

·
Registered
903 Posts
I've seen fuel injectors cause this also even though on the 1.8t is seems to usually be the coils and/or wires. And +1 on stop driving it. Cat's aren't cheap!

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
wiring more than likely is not the culprit (get harness at a later date if desired) ,I have had, as others," great success with NGK PFR6Q plugs and coil packs from ECS tuning. On the harness what usually goes South are the connectors to the coil packs,lightly silicone grease the plug wells on assembly

·
in dire need of an organic chemistry lesson
2,234 Posts
I did i was on my way to work as it happened blows, recommend this? 1.8T OEM IGNITION COIL PACK
One of coils died on my 1.8T a few months ago. I went ahead and replaced all 4 of them. Got a set of 4 coils for $36 off eBay and they have been working just fine. Actually, coil packs are only one of very very few critical components that I would buy from Chinese off the eBay because VW has the largest market in China worldwide and I think they make good coils.

·
Registered
26,073 Posts
I had 2 coils fail at the same time after my 1.8T swap along with the bad turbo. 2 cyl with no turbo was a lot of fun to drive. I replaced them with the R8 coils, more power and better looking. I also carry a matching spare.

·
Administrator
23,296 Posts

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
Since I had already replaced my coils when the second recall came around, I ended up with a spare set of the new version. I keep one in the car as an emergency backup spare, along with a cheapo scanner to tell me which cylinder is misfiring. I gave another to my elder son for the same purpose on his B6 A4 (AMB engine).

·
Administrator
23,296 Posts
The first thing I would of done is check the OBD and see what code is showing. A CEL would store a DTC.
Yep, totally rolled right past that thought. Flashing CEL is a misfire, so after narrowing down the cause (provided it wasn't a lean code or timing) I would look at the coils and sparks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts