Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm about to drop the hammer on a b5.5 wagon 5-speed, and i'm stuck b/w 2 cars

both are 2003, both gls trim, both manual, but one's a 1.8t, one's a v6

i'm coming from a mk4 gti vr6 5-speed, i loved the torque, but i also enjoyed the gains from just a chip on a 1.8t

the 1.8t has the color and interior i want, but i do like the color of the v6 (although not the interior so much, but that can change)

just trying to get some opinions, i'm buying either one at the beginning of next week.

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,432 Posts
Check the build date codes to see if either is affected by the run of bad fuel pumps.

If the 1.8T's service records are anything less than complete and stellar, get the V6.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
W8, it'll bless you with sensibility and allow you to no longer have a sense of humor.

Seriously, its really a toss up on what you want. Modability goes to the 1.8, durability to the V6. My car is fast enough for me.

·
Punches Dubs. True Story
9,983 Posts
Do you care about gas mileage? In theory, the 1.8t is better. (Until you chip it and drop the hammer with every punk who looks at you sideways.)

·
Fore!
1,564 Posts
Well the consensus here will definitely be 1.8T because of its chip- and mod-ability. But if you have any chance of slapping a PES supercharger on the V6, thats the way to go.

Theres a growing community of supercharged V6s here and elsewhere, and the PES kit is a great kit which you can pick up used for about $3000, new for $4000 if you can find a sale or GB.

·
Registered
356 Posts
If you like the color and the interior of the 1.8T, it makes sense to buy it, especially if you are willing to chip it. However, understand that the 1.8t's may have more durability issues. You should get all the service records and ensure that they have synthetic oil changes. At 60k expect to do a timing belt change too. Also the 2003 have 4 recalls outstanding. 1) Coil Packs, 2) Driver Seat Heater, 3) Passenger Seat Heater, 4) Fuel Pump.

·
Banned
742 Posts
I agree 1.8t is a better mod car but if you just using it for daily driving v6 is where its at, i love mine i just did 120 on my way home from work the v6 is amazing for what it is

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
The V6 is hard to beat! It's not a rocket but the smooth turbine like power and unique sound is hard to resist. I gun mine up to 100 mph now and then and have never been disappointed.
If you are concerned about fuel mileage, the 1.8t is better. And properly maintained it has proven to be a reliable motor also. You gotta like the color and the interior. And since you are willing to chip it and go manual trans, I'm thinking 1.8t for you.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well, the dealer that has the v6 didnt return my call so i'm getting the 1.8t on thursday!

it only has 34k on the clock, not too bad.

i dont drive hard, i'm doing a "classy euro cruizer" with this wagon, doing a little bit of wood, leather, chrome, airbags, and some very rare, very pleasing 19's

thanks for your opinions, while i did want the v6, the 1.8t just is seeming right in every category. i may go ahead and get an extended warranty through vw when the time comes, so that may/may not cover the timing belt/water pump

·
the Sal wannabe
4,901 Posts
VWGUY4EVER said:
If you're gonna mod - 1.8T.
If not - V6
Stay clear of W8's.. You'll lose your wallet and sense of humor.. :biglaugh:
i can vouch the sense of humor part. :p

but really, another thread of 1.8t vs v6?

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
John_E said:
Check the build date codes to see if either is affected by the run of bad fuel pumps.
fuel pumps on 2003s are being recalled in March, so it s not an issue anymore.
but wait, what was the subject again? oh thatz right.. YOU MISSED OUT ON THE GREAT 5SP/V6! :p

1 - 13 of 13 Posts