Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just went through a situation which, it now seems, is common. 2nd-hand 2000 1.8T wagon, bought ~1 year ago at 25K, put 10K on, missed the 30K oil change and coming up on the 35K change. Oil pressure light came on one night, though it would go out almost every time I slowed or stopped. I babied it for another 60 mi (with the light on :shock: ) until I heard light valve clatter while stopped. Had oil changed (it was very black and stinky), OK for 2 days, light came on again, dealer replaced pump (though not under warranty) to the tune of $650. Did not ask for parts back so I have no clue if inlet screen was clogged, or what pump clearances were. Things seem fine now, but now I hear what I think is the turbo, more noticeable than before (uh-oh...)

Seems odd that dirty oil could wear out a pump that soon, but when a new pump is a small fraction of the cost to get the pan off, it seemed too risky (at the time) to say no to the pump. After reading all the posts here and at Bentley, I'm beginning to wonder if I spent more than I had to.....

Can you check the filter screen for clogging by looking through the drain plug hole with a borescope?

Anyone with good or bad experiences solving this problem just by flushing or by switching oil?

Anyone ever compare pump clearances to spec while fixing a low oil pressure problem?

·
Lisa Simpson
15,044 Posts
If you have a borescope, we want to be your friends. ;) Where are you? Add your location to your profile. Welcome to CB5. :)

The sump capacity of the longitudinal 1.8t leaves no room for error on oil changes. 5K is the max. You did not overspend to get the pump replaced.

Why was the warranty not activated for the repair?

·
Registered
272 Posts
maybe i'm exceptionally paranoid, but I've been doing 3k changes on both of ours with the mobil 1, for the price of oil, even synthetic, it seems silly to miss it, I never want to be forced to pull that pan off.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
atomicalex
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing