Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,264 Posts
The oil is probably from the PCV (Postive Crankcase Ventilation) system. It is normal, but not a great design. Many people put a "catch can" into the PCV system to eliminate it.

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,264 Posts
Cost varies. The really slick polished ones with the built-in sight glass cost $100. I imagine you could find something functional for $20.

Ian Swett did a good writeup. Search for posts by "swett" - if you can't find it, I'll see if I can.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
If the hose internals are somewhat coated, unfortunately that's normal. In order to reduce emissions, everything that can burn gets re-routed into the intake system (kinda like a garbage disposal). In this case it's the oil vapor from the crankcase breather system (PCV, as mentioned above).

If you have oil actually dripping from the intake hoses (when you unclamp them), you've potentially got a problem. just to be sure, check your oil level. On the 1.8T, a little low is better than a little high.

I haven't seen many oil-in-the-intake posts that actually turned out to be oil from the turbo. In fact, i can't remember any posts like that at all.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
pete1 said:
If the hose internals are somewhat coated, unfortunately that's normal. In order to reduce emissions, everything that can burn gets re-routed into the intake system (kinda like a garbage disposal). In this case it's the oil vapor from the crankcase breather system (PCV, as mentioned above).

If you have oil actually dripping from the intake hoses (when you unclamp them), you've potentially got a problem. just to be sure, check your oil level. On the 1.8T, a little low is better than a little high.

I haven't seen many oil-in-the-intake posts that actually turned out to be oil from the turbo. In fact, i can't remember any posts like that at all.
if oil is coming from your turbo it's almost a given you'll see smoke coming from your muffler.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.