Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son just bought a nice 2003 Passat 1.8T wagon. The previous owner was running synthetic but I'm not sure what weight. I've got a new 5 quart jug of Mobil 1 10w30 sitting on my work bench. Does anyone see an issue running the 10w30 Mobil 1?

·
Registered
877 Posts
There used to be a thread listing all of the recommended oils you can use in the 1.8T. I believe the recommended weight is 5w40 for all 1.8T models.

·
Registered
87 Posts
My son just bought a nice 2003 Passat 1.8T wagon. The previous owner was running synthetic but I'm not sure what weight. I've got a new 5 quart jug of Mobil 1 10w30 sitting on my work bench. Does anyone see an issue running the 10w30 Mobil 1?
Use 0w40 or 15w40 full synthetic only (it is turbocharged) That has vw rating. Also, make sure you put in 4.2 L. Castrol has the euro spec which advance usually has in stock. They also usually have specials $35 for 5 quarts and a filter. Make sure to use the updated big filter. K&N hp-3001 or Mann w940.25 you can get 5 to 10 packs for a good price at ecstuning.com

For me though I use Rotella T6

·
Registered
306 Posts
Only use an oil that says on label it meets VW Spec 502.00 or higher.

The high heat of the turbo causes oil "coking" that is basically little hard balls that choke the oil pump and oil passages.

Both the Mobil 1 0w40 and Castrol 5w40 are "European Formula" and meets VW spec which is on label.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds like the 40 weight is the Key. Sounds like I could run the 10w30 in the Fall and Winter months but I'll move to the 40 weight just to be safe... Thanks!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Sounds like the 40 weight is the Key. Sounds like I could run the 10w30 in the Fall and Winter months but I'll move to the 40 weight just to be safe... Thanks!
NO! You can not run 10w30! You will clog the oil pick up or worse the turbo (especially since you have a younger driver). You need a high detergent synthetic to defuse the heat and keep the build up desolved. The 1.8t is notorious for sludge issues. Follow my response from earlier, if not you will find out.

VW spec 502 or higher, or Rotella T6 which is $21 a gallon jug at Walmart; plus larger oil filter and 4.2L of oil. The manual states a different filter and lower oil capacity.

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
About ~10 yrs ago, I "worked away" a 5 qt jug of Mobil 1 5W30 by mixing it <one quart at a time> with 3.2 quarts of Mobil 1 15W50 during each oil change (AEB with a large filter ~ 4.2 qts -vs- 3.8 qts stock).

The ultimate viscosity was probably a bit less than 50 wt., but no ill affects from the mixing of Mobil1 other than potentially lower MPG due to viscosity being north of 40 wt (big deal, eh).

The key point here ... is that you are using Mobil 1 synthetic oil.

No, the earth didn't stop turning when I mixed different viscosities of Mobil 1.

:beer:

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Use 5w40 full synth for the oil change. You can use some of your 10w30 for top ups between oil changes, but keep track of how much ends up in the engine.

I am all for using what you already have on hand but which is more important, getting rid of the 5qt now, or giving the engine the best protection from what is an established weakness?

Assume your son will get on it pretty hard. The 5w40 (*) will make sure the oil doesn't have a chance to cook.

* -- mobil 1 ain't the only game in town. shell rotella, castrol edge (both cheap enough at walmart), royal purple, ...

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
I use whatever 502.00 I can get on sale with a non-Fram filter; I've put in M1, Valvoline, Pennzoil Plat, and Castrol; I'm not picky as long as it has the right cert. on it. For filters, I've used Mann, M1, and Puro Classic.

To echo everybody else; keep that 10W30 away from your engine. You have an oil-film bearing in that Turbo; you don't want to be messing around with oil weights.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I use whatever 502.00 I can get on sale with a non-Fram filter; I've put in M1, Valvoline, Pennzoil Plat, and Castrol; I'm not picky as long as it has the right cert. on it. For filters, I've used Mann, M1, and Puro Classic.

To echo everybody else; keep that 10W30 away from your engine. You have an oil-film bearing in that Turbo; you don't want to be messing around with oil weights.

According to the manual: 5W-40 is recommended, but 5W-30 or 0W-40 can be used if 5W-40 is unavailable.

·
Registered
5,516 Posts
NO! You can not run 10w30! You will clog the oil pick up or worse the turbo (especially since you have a younger driver). You need a high detergent synthetic to defuse the heat and keep the build up desolved. The 1.8t is notorious for sludge issues. Follow my response from earlier, if not you will find out.
I'll jump in before this oil thread is closed! Those statements about 10W30 oil clogging the turbo and synthetic oil 'defusing the heat' are new ones for me. I'm in souther CA, it gets really hot here, and I've used 10w30, 5w30, 0w40, and likely others at different times, with no oil-related problems on our '99 1.8T with 160K miles. I'd pour that 10w30 Mobil-1 in your Atlanta Passat without a second thought.

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,072 Posts
I'll jump in before this oil thread is closed! Those statements about 10W30 oil clogging the turbo and synthetic oil 'defusing the heat' are new ones for me. I'm in souther CA, it gets really hot here, and I've used 10w30, 5w30, 0w40, and likely others at different times, with no oil-related problems on our '99 1.8T with 160K miles. I'd pour that 10w30 Mobil-1 in your Atlanta Passat without a second thought.
Agreed. M1 synthetic is M1 synthetic when talking off the shelf. Theoretically, the only difference is viscosity. 10w when cold would do nothing detrimental to the engine. The w30 might not be up to optimal spec, but it will certainly not cause sludging. Also, All oil should be able to "Defuse" or Diffuse the heat equally.

I might leave it open for a for more posts.......

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Thanks, Dan.

By the way, it isn't 4.2L of oil, it's 4.25 quarts. 4.2L=overfill, but I'm not sure it's enough to really wreak havoc.

You can use almost any oil (spec doesn't matter now that the car isn't under sludge warranty) that is:

1) full synthetic
2) 0w40 (Mobil1 or Castrol Edge)
3) 5w40 (Castrol Edge, Rotella T6, etc)
4) 5w30 in some cases
5) only use other oils to top off if the others I mentioned aren't available. That's pretty much been VWoA's stance the whole time (well, since 2004).

I wouldn't even bother with non over the counter oils. Not worth trying to find them, and they're not worth the premium.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Wow, more emotional of a subject than I had thought... All good... I'm going to take it safe and pick up some 15w40 synthetic. - Thanks John

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
:poke:

Wow, 15w40? You completely missed what the rest of us mentioned I guess. :lol:

I don't think 15w40 will hurt anything, but it is way heavier (read more viscous) at startup than the recommended oils VW specs for this car. I'd stick with a 0w or 5w oil. The second number is important once up to temp.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Was going to use slightly incorrect oil

Goes on internet car forum

Asks which oil to use

Gets advice

Decides to use a more incorrect oil

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.