Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My 99 aeb maf just started acting funky abd throwing a maf code. Cleaning did not change anything and runs 99% perfect unplugged. The yard had probably 10 1.8ts and all were the later style harness connector (rounded, early is rectangle with a metal lock pin).

Now, i could buy one for 200$, but i figured both early/later have 4 wires (im assuming 12v, 5v feed, 5v signal, ground) and the later style are plentiful and only 20$. I was wondering anyone with access to wiring diagrams could tell me or post diagrams here of both maf connector pin outs so i could hopefully just splice a later style connector and use a later style maf on a early harness.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
The Bentley schematics don't identify functions of the MAF terminals, but based on the troubleshooting tests in Bentley and those at this link, I don't believe the two types of MAF are interchangeable. Every indication is that the newer MAF (5-pin) requires a 5 volt DC supply from the ECM, while the older one (4-pin) does not.

Part 1 -VW Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Test (5 Wire Type)

The pinouts below are what I can gleen from the schematics and the "test voltage supply to MAF" troubleshooting steps in Bentley, as well as the link.

Here's what I found; use at your own risk:

AEB (4-pin MAF):
Pin 1: Ground
Pin 2: signal ground (from ECM), yellow wire
Pin 3: +12V power (11 to 15V)
Pin 4: signal output to ECM, green wire

ATW, AUG, AWM (5-pin MAF):
Pin 1: not used
Pin 2: +12V power
Pin 3: signal ground (from ECM), yellow wire
Pin 4: 5V (4.5 to 5.5V) from ECM
Pin 5: signal output to ECM, green wire

·
Registered
50 Posts
MAF Sensor Differences

Have a 2003 Passat 1.8T AWM that uses a MAF sensor VW p/n 06A906461N. Found a 06A906461L on Ebay that says it is interchangeable with 06A906461N. VW says they are not interchangeable. Does anybody know how these sensors differ electrically? Even VW can't answer this question, go figure.:banghead: If I had good ones of each type side by side, I could answer my own question through testing.:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts