Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,576 Posts
These engines are probably good for 200K miles / 300K km if properly maintained and driven mainly on open roads, but significantly less total distance if driven primarily in the city. The key is maintenance, including type of oil, oil change interval, PCV servicing, and attention to small problems before they become serious.

If you don't change your timing belt before 120K mi / 200K km, your engine may indeed "break before 120K."

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
This question comes up a lot but it always confuses me...

Are you asking "How long before it needs a rebuild?" or "How long before I have to put $XXXX into a single service visit?"

I mean, most modern engines will run forever if properly maintained (oil/coolant changes, belts, hoses, sensors). I don't think I've ever seen a well-maintained engine just blow up on somebody without provocation (30lbs boost is a bit much for stock internals :) ). Eventually, though, things will wear out. You'll probably need ot get new rings or have a valve-job done at some point but the block or crank-shaft probably aren't going to just disintegrate.

It's all very relative.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I always assume that older vehicles are going to need about 1500 or so in maintenance per year.
I just set aside my 125 bucks a month and use it as needed for brakes, cv joints, head gasket, tires, oil, etc.
you may pay off your car but you'll still have to pay for it.

You gotta love depreciating assets.
The gift that keeps on giving.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I have almost 130k on my 98. No "major" issues to speak of in so far. Just the standard maintenance. Good Synthetic oil, the big filters. Replaced the timing belt at 60k and 125k, the last time I did the belt, I replaces the tensioner with the updated one, and the front crankshaft oil seal. I plan on keeping the car for 200k.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Forever but...

My experience with VW's (going back to mid 80's) is that the motors tend to outlast anything else on the car. You get tired of fixing all the piddly crap before their 4 bangers give up. Probably not as big of an issue with the newer, galvanized body panels but rust seems to kill a car quick around here. Also, rubber dries out, things wear out and you get bored with it. If youre like me anyway.
I always assume that older vehicles are going to need about 1500 or so in maintenance per year.
I just set aside my 125 bucks a month and use it as needed for brakes, cv joints, head gasket, tires, oil, etc.
you may pay off your car but you'll still have to pay for it.
^^obviously wise man who has owned many used cars

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,576 Posts
cranium said:
My experience with VW's (going back to mid 80's) is that the motors tend to outlast anything else on the car. ...
This sounds like the good old Dodge Dart with a Slant-6 or perhaps an old Chevy with a small-block V-8. My son's 1969 Camaro is at 180K miles and has never had any internal engine work done.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
VW has been producing the 1.8 for over 20 years. Although they have only had turbo for about 10, you would certailny be reading many horror stories if these engines were prone to break before 120k.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have 102k on my 98 that I bought new and has had all of its maintenance done by the book. In spite of that, I still expect it to up and die any day.

Part of that is due to its legacy of numerous and expensive repairs, but most is due to the looming threats of sludge or the still original turbo going out.

I guess you could say that I have a negative attitude when it comes to this car! :D

·
Registered
895 Posts
drewba said:
I have 102k on my 98 that I bought new and has had all of its maintenance done by the book. In spite of that, I still expect it to up and die any day.

Part of that is due to its legacy of numerous and expensive repairs, but most is due to the looming threats of sludge or the still original turbo going out.

I guess you could say that I have a negative attitude when it comes to this car! :D
What kind of expensive repairs have you had to deal with ? the only unexpected failures I've dealt with is the ICM going out on me, and thanks to parts4vws.com I was back runing the next day, and enjoying my bag of m&ms

·
Over 400K miles on my baby!
684 Posts
I am just over 205k miles on my 2000 1.8t. Every time I drive the car I am amazed at how well it runs. (even with the check engine light on currently - needs another MAF). It doesnt burn any oil, never have to add between the 5k oil changes. I had posted awhile back regarding the maintenance I have done over the 200k miles. I average about 700 miles per week, mostly highway.

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
ytqm said:
I am just over 205k miles on my 2000 1.8t. Every time I drive the car I am amazed at how well it runs. (even with the check engine light on currently - needs another MAF). It doesnt burn any oil, never have to add between the 5k oil changes. I had posted awhile back regarding the maintenance I have done over the 200k miles. I average about 700 miles per week, mostly highway.
I still think you should chip it....... hehe

After replacing your MAFS.

Josh

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
1.8t engine is very solid indeed. will serve you well assuming proper maintenance. biggest problem with these engines is that it's got such a small sump, hence the need to use the larger filter and synthetic. also, proper warming up and cooling down is important as well, even with the stock turbo.

·
Registered
419 Posts
D.Passat00 said:
1.8t engine is very solid indeed. will serve you well assuming proper maintenance. biggest problem with these engines is that it's got such a small sump, hence the need to use the larger filter and synthetic. also, proper warming up and cooling down is important as well, even with the stock turbo.

Yes, either change the oil very frequently or use synthetic and still change it frequently. VW will warrant your engine for unlimited miles against sludge damage if you use synthetic and have records of your oil changes.

Vacuum lines get old, make sure you change your timing belt well before the recommended 108k and while youre at it, have them do all the belts and the valve cover gasket as well as the cam seal and check the water pump. The turbos themselves seem to be pretty good and with proper maint. and dont die prematurely.

Other than those things, i cant think of anything out of the ordinary with this engine. It should be good for many miles, depending on your type of driving.

·
Registered
277 Posts
John_E said:
These engines are probably good for 200K miles / 300K km if properly maintained and driven mainly on open roads, but significantly less total distance if driven primarily in the city. The key is maintenance, including type of oil, oil change interval, PCV servicing, and attention to small problems before they become serious.

If you don't change your timing belt before 120K mi / 200K km, your engine may indeed "break before 120K."
how does one service the PCV?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
A major pain in the rear to get at to replace but mine was almost completely blocked at 80k.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts