Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a used 99 GLS and coming from a 90 Jetta Coupe and 03 GLI... this motor seems to rev a lot slower.

It also seems to hold revs FAR longer. When I shift from 1-2, I end up having to slow my shift down, because it takes so long for the RPMs to drop down to proper levels to engage 2nd.

Could I just be used to the close-ratio 6-speed in the GLI? If so, how does this explain that it seems noticeably slower than the Coupe?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
atomicalex said:
No you cannot use a Jetta tranny, you have to use one that mates to a longitudinal engine.
Alex.. I wasn't saying I wanted to install it... I know it won't fit... I was just saying that I'm probably used to the feel of the GLI and how it revs with the 6-speed.

·
0 Posts
My starter destroyed it but i will be replacing it soon it was great! from 28 pds stock to 14 pds aftermarket, the your revs climb fast. You would love the difference!

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
20vvillian said:
My starter destroyed it but i will be replacing it soon it was great! from 28 pds stock to 14 pds aftermarket, the your revs climb fast. You would love the difference!
Did the lightened flywheel introduce any other problems, like chatter, vibrations, etc? I've heard good and bad things about lightened flywheels on our car, and I wouldn't want to have a chattering transmission everytime I engage a gear.

And you can honestly say that there is a big difference, and that it revs faster/drops revs quicker?

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Steve-

I'd eventually like to get a lighter flywheel, but I've already got a underdriven (slightly) crank pully, I heard you shouldn't do both mods.

Any insight?

-Steven

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
7 Participants
Spanky McGee
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing