Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
considering a new passat and am wondering what fuel economy i should expect in everyday driving. is premium neccessary?

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
Regular (87 Octane) won't damage your car, but it will lose some of it's "pep" and maybe burn more fuel. Will it burn 15% or so more? Who knows. See how your Passat reacts.

SirWired

·
Registered
119 Posts
i have a 2000 1.8t 5 spd, still stock, that averages 35-37 mpg on highway trips at 70 mph.
the average mileage i have gotten since i've owned it is 27.4 mpg, according to the computer.

·
Registered
299 Posts
My record commute MPG is 38.6. This was done on 90% highway, at about 5:30am. I think I hit only one redlight.

Did about 70mph on on stretch of highway (Mass Pike for those familiar with MA). And about 60mph on Rt 128. Entire trip is about 30 miles.

To make sure I wasn't going "downhill" most of the way, I ripped a 38.4 on the commute home with traffic! Again, same speed, and one or two red lights.

Now that I'm chipped and my foot feels like lead, I get about 27 on the highway, and around 20 in the city.

But I COULD still get 38+ on the highway in a pinch.

In 31,000+ miles, my trip computer says average is 28.4 (but that resets every 100 hours of driving).

So, yes, it requires premium gas, but it gives you premium mileage and premium power (when chipped).

-Craig

·
Registered
7,583 Posts
On a 2003 wagon with 12K miles, with Tip, using 93 octane (AKI), I'm getting about 20 - 22 city, 29-31 highway.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have a 2002 1.8T 5-speed sedan and get crappy mileage. Around 20-21 mpg in the city and hats NOT aggressive driving, just a lot of stop and go. And you are not saving money buy putting 87 or 89 octane, in the long run it'll ruin your engine and the engine will consume more of it. Trust me, I've spoken to many mechanics (friends not strangers) about which fuels to use and they agree unanimously

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
sirwired said:
Regular (87 Octane) won't damage your car, but it will lose some of it's "pep" and maybe burn more fuel. Will it burn 15% or so more? Who knows. See how your Passat reacts.

SirWired
:crazy: You haven't read many threads on this issue have you? Here are the Cliffnotes:
Knock (predetonation) must occur before the knock sensors retard timing.
Predetonation is bad for various components of your engine.
The number of knock occurences for the knock sensors to retard timing is unknown to the marority of Passat owners.
Retarded timing and engine performance will likely impact your gas mileage.
The difference per tank between regular and premium is about 3-5 dollars depending on the spread. (Typically 10 cents)
If you can't cover the cost of premium over regular your have large fiscal problems then just the cost of gas.

To grannygear: If you want to maximize the fuel economy available to you wait for the Passat TDI to arrive. I suspect EPA mileage will by in the mid 30's to near 40 miles per gallon. Welcome to the club.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I have a chipped 2003 5 spd wagon. My 20 mi (each way) commute is on rural section roads, with a brief bit of 60-65 mph 2-lane driving, all in rolling terrain. I'm careful about mileage and get about 31+ mpg, each way.

This weekend, I drove the 120 mi to my parent's house and got 32.3 mpg. About 95 mi of that was cruising on the turnpike at 80 mph. On the way back, I got only about 30.7 mpg because I was following a loose gaggle that was doing 85 - 90 mph.

·
Registered
802 Posts
best I've done is 31.5 mpg on a 3 hour drive averaging 67 mph with stop and go calculated. '99 1.8T Neuspeed .8 Bar chip - 15" rims

·
Registered
7,583 Posts
I'm sure it's no record...417 miles, averaging 30.55 mpg, going from Northern PA to Niagara Falls to Pittsburgh (some suburban type driving in there, but mostly two lane blacktop and Interstate).

Heh, wait til the Euro guys phone in their TDI mileage figures!

·
Registered
26,083 Posts
2000,1.8T,Tip. On stock wheels/tires I averaged 32.5mpg on a 4000 mile trip to
the east coast and back. Average speed was 70-75mph. About 8-900 lbs in the car.
Lowered with H+R Sports/Bilsteins.
Best distance on 1 tank was about 480 miles. I would have gone 500,but with my
wife,kids and luggage I did not want to push it.

With my 16's and 215/55/16 riding on 1BE springs,I averaged 30mpg with 1000 lbs in the car over a 6600 mile trip. Average speed 75-80mph.

·
Registered
6,736 Posts
If your "city driving" is actually on the city streets(and not a highway that goes through the city) expect 17-19. I get 30-33 on 100% freeway driving depending on what tires I have on and what kind of load I am carrying.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
On my way to get suspension put in and 18's put on I got 31 mpg.
On the way back after 18's put on I got 28 mpg :cry:

·
Registered
299 Posts
Re: Very low fuel milage

cpredescu said:
I've had my '04 GL 1.8 Tip since Feb 26 and I don't get more than 11 mi per gallon, driving in NYC?!
Do you floor it from light to light? I don't think I could manage a MPG that low even chipped.

You may want to get something checked out.

-Craig

·
Registered
487 Posts
Just got 350 miles on my last tank when I left from the valley and that was in jam packed LA traffic on the 405 all the way to SD. It was my best fuel run yet. I wonder what it'll be when I'm cruising across the country on the I-40 next week?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts