Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

321 - 340 of 343 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Long time lurker, first time poster.

I have a 2003 1.8T Passat and noticed that my heat wasn't getting hot last night. The car is new to me as of August, but I swear I remember driving home late one night with the heat on and getting too hot. Last night was the first time I had used the heat in some time and it was just warm on my short drive home so I decided to keep going a bit to see if it would get hot, but nothing.

After about a month of owning the car I noticed a gurgling noise upon a cold start. Pulled over, freaked out, and turned to google. Doesn't seem like an all too uncommon thing and figured it was air in the cooling system. I've noticed this noise only occasionally with no consistency--warm days, cool day, completely random. This morning I ran the car with the coolant cap off at around 2000rpms to see if any air would escape while checking the temp of the heater core intake and outtake hoses. Both hoses get hot, still minimal heat. Shut the car down for a while and decided to see if any air would come out of the weep hole--slid the tube back and fluid came right out. Closed everything back up, started the car (already pretty warm) and let it run for a few minutes before turning on the heat. Huge blast of hot air!! But it was short lived.

I'm thinking it's poor circulation within the heater core. The gurgling noise may be a result of this, fluid not able to get in as it should and air is getting trapped. I'm also guessing that the blast of hot air was a result of the core getting full of hot coolant, creating the hot air, then loosing it's heat due to the restricted circulation.

Any way--found some pretty good resources for a flush. Do I have the time to do it? Not sure... Any thoughts on what this would run me from my local VW mechanic? I mainly don't want to make a mess and deal with disposing nasty fluids. Thoughts on flushing with products like CLR? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

I know this isn't necessarily the best place for this post, but just wanted to get it out there while I meet my two post minimum new member requirements.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i got a 98 A4 1.8t b5 trying to install a aftermarket fuel rail and fuel pressure regular? ive read that i have to delete my old one? i have a stage 3 ecu upgrade and im running a 3071 gt turbo with ev14 440cc injectors and i have a walbro 255 fuel pump.
If anyone can help or give me some advice on it i would be greatly appreciated. i work on my on car and do everything myself.

321 - 340 of 343 Posts