Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel like a newbie all over again. But the question is how much louder are our 1.8T engines during idling and at a stand still? Also, the 1.8T seems to vibrate some more than the V6 I noticed. Same with the Audi A4 1.8T. Is that normal? I know I recently took notice of my B5.5 vibrations and engine noise - what could remedy this?

·
Registered
917 Posts
Four cylinder engines generally vibrate more than V6's.

If your vibrations are truly excessive you might have one or more bad motor mounts. But, you do need to expect some vibration with the 1.8t.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are not excessive it's just that it's to the point where I know it's there. I wouldn't suspect I need a new motor mount on an 03... :sad: Thanks though - they seem to be noisier too I've noticed.

·
Registered
791 Posts
My car's idle has been rougher for ... a few months now, mine's an 02, I suspect a motor mount

And at idle, its somewhat noisy, but its not bad at all, the engine revs sooo smoothly and sounds so great for a 4 cyl when I'm on the gas that I can put up with both :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
1.8t motor Vib

My b5 is two months old. I notice that at times when idlling it can be dead smooth or some vibration. It does not matter if it is cold or warm.
Their seems to be no pattern.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Agrees, I'm not saying it's bad but enough that it can be heard in the cabin - from the outside it's not too bad at all. Just a low sort of humming, especially when I'm on the brake stopped and when it starts too slow down - of course that is with the radio off - that's why I never really noticed it until recently. And yes, it can be dead smooth sometimes and other times vibrating.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
The hum can come from the torque converter if it is a tiptronic (This is assuming you are in drive). I know that when braking and idling my car vibrates also, and it has a low hum. I drive a V6 by the way. The 1.8 t is slightly rougher than the V6, that is just how they work. You see everyone talking about the "Smoothness of the V6". I personally don't really care. I think the low hum is cool, if it was a bit louder it would be even better, gives me the impression of power. I remember when I first drove in my car. It was at night and the dealer had just dropped it off for us in Pasadena (I had never seen the car, my dad had gotten it a few weeks prior, they were cutting a key for it because the used car dealer had lost their copy :weirdo:). Man was I impressed. I sat down and immediatly heard that hum. When I pulled it up to park it, I got out and stared...it was love at first sight :D.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts