Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for insight on "tickinig / klacking" noise coming from what I believe to be the top/back on the 1.8T engine. Seems to originate by the cam timing chain area most notably at idle. Is this noticeable amount of noise normal or symptomatic? Possible "gummed-up" lifters?

Engine has been properly maintained based on VW schedule, had valve cover gaskets replaced (looked fairly clean - light brown), full TB & WP @ 99,000, OCI=5,000 miles, proper cool down prior to shutdown, current miles=103,000, will be using AutoRX at 105,000.

Any help would allow me to sleep at night.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
It could be noise from the lifters, but if it is coming from the very back, top of the engine it sounds more like noise from the cam chain tensioner. This device uses hydraulic pressure to maintain (and adjust) the position of the intake valve cam shaft wrt the exhaut cam shaft. Oil flow to it may be getting restricted.

I would not delay in the AutoRx treatment.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
http://www.auto-rx.com/

An oil additive designed to remove sludge slowly. Chemicals that do it quickly are known to cause large (relatively speaking) chunks of sludge to break off and clog up the works.

The 1.8T has a habit of sludging if not babied with regular feedings of Synthetic.
One of the warning signs for this is a noisy cam chain tensioner which manifests itself as a loud clacking noise at the back of the engine.

I'm considering a preventative run of Auto-RX through my '99 1.8T as I've only owned it for a little over 10K of it's 50K life. I recommend Bjoker do this to save his engine.

·
Registered
732 Posts
If Auto-Rx doesn't resolve the clacking of the cam chain tensioner (after the whole clean/rinse are done) then you may want to replace the tensioner. Mine resolved without replacing the tensioner.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
riles9b: I live in Mendon.

I guess I should order the AutoRX tonight.

I had two VW mechanics "listen" to the noise and they both seemed not to be concerned but I'll voice my concern when getting the Tip oil changed on Friday and possibly engine oil (with AuotRX - if delivered in time).

BTW, the noise isn't "apparent" while driving at speed (obviuosly, no real safe way to check w/out doing something stupid). All other aspects of the car seem normal.

Is the situation dire if not attended to immediately???

TIA

·
Registered
732 Posts
If it's the tensioner wearing out, it's not dire. If it's caused by low oil pressure from sludging, it's much more urgent that you do the ARX. Once you get a low oil pressure warning light/buzzer, it's too late for ARX and you've got to drop the pan.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just as an update, I spoke to Frank at AutoRX and he advised use of a couple of bottles (3 total purchase) in phases. Also, he wants the engine to stay "dino" due to polar issues with oil contaminants.

I will post results after cleaninf phase and rinse phase. I do A LOT of miles so it should be in a couple weeks.

BTW, is the cam tensioner an expensive repair? Or relatively simple?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.