Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1.8T, 96K miles. I've got coolant accumulating in liquid form in a depression in the lower rear left-hand side of the block, below the oil filter housing. There's no pink crud or wetness around the oil filter housing.

Prior owner replaced water pump at 95K, which I've heard solves most of the pink crud problems. Not sure if he replace the coolant hoses or not. Prior owner also gave me a contrainer of the GM pink antifreeze, so I suspect he's been topping it off with the wrong coolant.

My current theories:

(a) The incorrect coolant doesn't foam up like the G12 when it leaks, so it's just running down from the oil filter housing and accumulating in liquid form. Again, I haven't noticed any wetness around the filter housing, but I could just be missing it.

(b) What appears to be the engine coolant temp sensor plugs into the block just forward of where the coolant is pooling. Could it just be a bad seal on this sensor? Is this even a water temp sensor?

Your thoughts are appreciated...

- Curtis

·
Registered
352 Posts
cooler?? where is this cooler located????

cwitt> i would check the housing that the temp sensor is in, its made of hard plastic and seaed by orings. the housing costs about 6bucks w/ orings. also the hose that is connected to the bottom of the housing, is sealed by an oring, whenever i changed the housing i just cleanned the hose(where the oring is inside the hose) and i havent had leaks after that.

get a small mirror to take a better look at the back of the mottor block, to better identify the leak.

hope this helps,good luck........... :thumbup:

Alfredo

·
Registered
243 Posts
Also check your coolant reservoir for leaks. Mine actually sprung tiny hairline cracks that leaked only when coolant got hot. R2 reservoir, no more leaks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.