Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1.8t Coolant flush question

4K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Tomvw 
#1 ·
Is it a PITA to do this? I've seen some write-ups but mostly was on the v6's. I have a new gallon of g13 coolant. my coolant in the car is dead and I would love to replace it. Do I really need to remove all the hoses or can I drain the rad and fill with water drain and fill with water a few times? to flush the old crap out? do I need to bleed the system still? I have a new coolant reservoir since my old one is cracking and leaking so I know I need to do that. I just don't want to start removing everything and spend 5 hours messing with the car.

#3 ·
There is not a block drain available on that engine. To really flush the system, remove the thermostat, then pull the sensor in the lower hose, remove the upper hose from the metal pipe and flush both the motor and radiator that way. Let it drain, put it back together (use a new O-ring on the sensor).

A drain and fill will not get much of the coolant out of the engine block. You will need to bleed the system afterwards.

#5 ·
When refilling the system, I elevate the coolant recover tank as high as possible and add coolant very slowly. I then check the coolant level in the recovery tank after running the engine briefly and again shortly after the thermostat first opens (and the radiator hoses get warm).

Although the coolant is rated "lifetime," I do not believe any coolant truly is, any more than any ATF is. My elder son and I have both been forced to change our coolant after our oil coolers developed internal leaks, which is a very common problem with either the 1.8T or the 2.8 engine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.