Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all -

I have a 2003 Passat wagon (1.8t, FWD, AWM). This past winter was very, very snowy, and the city kindly decided to totally stop plowing all side streets. As a result, I plowed (slid) my poor car straight into the metal bumper of a parked Ford ranger. Since mid-February, she's been sitting in my garage, while I've slowly taken off broken bits trying to assess damages. I think I've removed everything broken, and now just have to figure out what all I need to put back! (and actually do it).

A couple of weekends ago, I decided to try starting her up just to see how that would go. She started! But immediately stalled. I tried again, and revved the engine a few times, which worked, but resulted in a very unhappy, choppy idle. I'm going to guess that this is because my tank is half-full of gas from February (that I negated to add any stabilizer to).

SO: What is the easiest, most effective way of draining my gas tank?

The next step is to get the radiator back on, so that I can actually run her for more than a few seconds and do further assessments.

·
Registered
28,208 Posts
You may simply need to adapt the throttle body and add some fuel stabilizer. Try it before draining the tank. You can siphon out the filler neck or remove the fuel pump and pump it out with a fuel rated pump much faster.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts