Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Have a look here....

Why do you think it is running backwards?

There is a persistence of vision thing that may look like the water pump is turning backwards, but the engine would have a hard time running that way. The starter would need to be reversed, the oil pump would be running the wrong way and you'd need a new camshaft.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
-I'm the guy in the video. Yes there is oil pressure, I have a AHU/1Z oil pump and and gears on the intermediate shaft. The pistons are in backwards, the crank sensor ring is re-indexed and new holes drilled, the cam chain adjuster has been replaced with on from a AHA/ATQ V6 left side tensioner, the timing chain and belt is re-timed, the timing belt tensioner has been corrected for reverse direction, the coil and injector plugs are reversed on cyls. 2 and 3 because the new firing order is 1-2-4-3, the starter has been reworked with ABA 2.0 starter parts. It does run, but is not 100% yet.

Andrew-

*I'm also a fan of Passats, I've had a bunch and have 2 W8s right now one being a '04 Wagon six speed manual.

·
Moderate Moderator
16,463 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Now that is nuts!!!

I have always liked the strange setups. The Vanagon I drive everyday, I have a AEB flopped on its side at 50 degrees using Vanagon diesel parts. Its a blast to drive, I just keep reaching for fifth gear.

Andrew-

·
I had a steering knuckle in my shed. Really!
4,159 Posts
Now that is nuts!!!

I have always liked the strange setups. The Vanagon I drive everyday, I have a AEB flopped on its side at 50 degrees using Vanagon diesel parts. Its a blast to drive, I just keep reaching for fifth gear.

Andrew-
I am thinking of something like this, just have to find the right vanagon/camper first, as I already have an AEB I could put in there. I assume you needed an adapter plate between the engine and tranny? Someone sells a 1.8T into vanagon kit, but only for transverse motors. I can't imagine it's much harder with the AEB, even using a gasser tranny.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the comments guys. Yes, I am running the engine backward because I plan to use the engine and a Passat transmission in the back of a Vanagon. I'm not sure how well the transmission is going to hold up, but I'm willing to try.

I am in need of two output flanges from a b5 Passat or Audi a4/90/80 manual transmission that take a 100mm or 110mm CV joint. Anyone have a dead transmission they are parting?

Andrew-

·
Resident a-hole knowitall
15,709 Posts
i think i have a set, i know i have the tripodal ones but i think i have some greasable CV end ones as well i will have to check in the morning.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Smokey Yunick experimented with racing a car with a " Reverse Rotation Engine" in the 1960's. He writes about it in his books. His theory was that reversing the engine would allow the driver to accelerate the car sooner coming out of a curve due to the torque putting pressure on the drivers side tire when coming out of a left turn (NASCAR & INDY Round-track racing). This came from watching the drivers side door rise up on a normal car when reving the engine. One of the problems he discussed is the transmission and rear end gears were not designed to run backwards for a great length of time (Standard transmission). According to him the gears are hardened on the heel side to last when going forward, but not on the back side. Nobody drives long distances in reverse so it is not a problem in normal cars. When he first reversed the rotation, the gears wore out a lot faster. Of course he had factory connections so getting reverse rotation gears was not a problem for him. I will also say that Smokey was doing this in the 1960's, alot may of changed since then.

·
Registered
762 Posts
-I'm the guy in the video. Yes there is oil pressure, I have a AHU/1Z oil pump and and gears on the intermediate shaft. The pistons are in backwards, the crank sensor ring is re-indexed and new holes drilled, the cam chain adjuster has been replaced with on from a AHA/ATQ V6 left side tensioner, the timing chain and belt is re-timed, the timing belt tensioner has been corrected for reverse direction, the coil and injector plugs are reversed on cyls. 2 and 3 because the new firing order is 1-2-4-3, the starter has been reworked with ABA 2.0 starter parts. It does run, but is not 100% yet.

Andrew-

*I'm also a fan of Passats, I've had a bunch and have 2 W8s right now one being a '04 Wagon six speed manual.
I stand corrected. Congratulations -- there were some people (Smokey Yunick) who made gm v8's run backwards to load the inside rear tire more effectively in circle track racing in the 60's and 70's, so I would imagine that running your van in the way you see fit is a worthy project. You may well be nuts, but that is a good thing here. Welcome to the club, Andrew.

Why did you need to put the pistons in backwards? I'd think the rotation of the crankshaft wouldn't have anything to do with the orientation of the piston. You're still pulling air and fuel in through the intake and pushing it out the exhaust, you're just rotating the crank the other way. Cam timing would be tricky.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.