Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
05 Passat 1.8t 5AT 4Motion wagon 127k.

I've never owned an automatic, so I'm not sure if this behavior is normal. When I have the car in TIP mode in 4th gear and hit the gas, the RPMs jump by about 200, then the car accelerates normally. In 5th gear the RPMs jump by about 100 and then the car accelerates normally. In D while cruising in 5th under partial throttle the RPMs will jump by about 500 until I really nail the gas, then it'll kick down into 4th.

From what I've been reading this all seems like normal behavior, yes?

Thanks!

·
in dire need of an organic chemistry lesson
2,619 Posts
I don't see any issues here. When in D mode the car's TCM gets the RPM signal from the control module and calculates when to shift the gear. When you're on the TIP you determine when the gears should change regardless of the RPM.

·
Registered
29,150 Posts
Not quite normal. In tip mode, the rpm should only climb with the speed. It may downshift if you press the gas far enough, but the TC should stay locked while in gears 3-5.
In D, it should jump up to 500rpm whenever you step on the gas.

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
I agree, the symptoms are typical of a non-locking torque converter clutch. Locking up the TC reduces energy loss (heat) which otherwise gets dissipated to the atmosphere from the radiator. I'd have expected to see a TC slippage fault code.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I agree, the symptoms are typical of a non-locking torque converter clutch. Locking up the TC reduces energy loss (heat) which otherwise gets dissipated to the atmosphere from the radiator. I'd have expected to see a TC slippage fault code.
I can't see the TC clutch wearing out at 127k. PZ had a thread about his slipping and there was a rhythmic rise and fall in engine RPM while holding speed or under light acceleration. Not sure what the miles on his were, though.

·
Registered
29,150 Posts
It's not necessarily the clutch facings wearing out, but a hydraulic pressure issue, due to an internal seal in the TC which develops a leak (or so I've read).
Yes, the internal seal goes bad. I had 115K when I 1st noticed mine (over 10 years ago) and it got worse until I replaced the TC several months later. I put that TC into my son's 00 wagon when I did the manual swap. The more stress on the TC, the sooner they go bad. The B5 S4 had a lot of failures followed by the 2.8 4Mo, but even the FWD can have them go bad.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.