Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The dealer we always do business with let us take an '04 1.8T 4Mo Passat on a very long test drive yesterday and it was a very interesting, eye opening experience.
As compared to our V6, both sedans with automatics, the clear winner, in our estimation, is the 1.8T.
Around town the car SEEMS quicker than the v6, but of course-at times- you know you are driving a 4 rather than the six. On the highway, and this is where things just don't compute, once up to speed, we could not tell any difference between our six and the four, and neither could the tach as BOTH cars were turning the same revs at about 65mph; 2,400 or so.
How can this be?, tach error or valid data??
But the best part, the computer, which in our V6 is deadly accurate, was indicating an average of 30mpg over a sixty mile drive on both highway and secondary roads, this is all we needed to know.
Of course there are a few disadvantages, no auto a/c, no power seats and the really neat auto dimming mirror with the red led's are not available even so, we will be 1.8T owners today after 17k miles with our GLX.
Unless of course they all have a very annoying and audible squeak/creak coming from the rear!!!

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Well the 1.8T has 170 hp vs 200 in the V6. 4mo system on both, but the V6 engine weights more than the 1.8T. So power to weight ratio is about the same.

PS: I don't know where are you located, but here in Denver which is 5000' ASL 1.8T engine way outperforms V6 which is NA engine due to the forced induction.

·
Banned
4,653 Posts
actuallt, the V6 is only 190 hp. So the power gap between the engines is very small. As for the RPM at 65, that would have more to do with the gearing in the transmission than the engine, I would think.

I recently raced JonBoy in his Audi A4 1.8T Quattro (he's chipped) and he easily walked away from me even though he had a passenger, a full tank of gas and a bowling ball in his car and my car was basically emty.

Bottom line, the 1.8T will be faster and have much better mileage than the V6.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
The V6 will have very linear power throughout and it is nice and smooth overall. The 1.8T is peppy at 2K RPMs and beyond. On the highway the 1.8T is just as quick - again partially because of the weight difference.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I'm actually considering a CPO 2002 W8 to replace my GLX 4-Motion. When I was at a dealer yesterday, I test drove a 5-Speed GLX and was pleasantly surprised at how much more lively it felt compared to my GLX 4-Mo. Though, I wouldn't have AWD anymore. I'd like to test drive a 5-Speed 1.8T 4-Mo just to see how it feels. However, I'd probably miss the little niceties that the GLX offers over the GLS.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
i have teh v6 and i find that deifnely is given a run for its money VS a 1.8t

BUT the v6 is smooth as silk driving along at 90mph on the highway and i belive it gets better gassmilage too

i cant really compare either becuase teh were both automatics i have manual but thats just my opion

·
Registered
124 Posts
I used to have a 1.8T 2001.5 b5.5 sedan, but I then totaled it and bought the same year but a V6 and I find that the 1.8T lagged a little more then the V6 as well as cruising at 90 to 110 the V6 handled it much better with better gas mileage. I also reach the governor point much faster with the V6 then when I had the 1.8T. I just wished that I had the chance to have chipped my 1.8T. I got the V6 for more brute power to work with and give it, I am more of a Oldsmobile 442 guy then a twin turbo supra guy; love brute power. Dont get me wrong either one would the shit to have.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well it turns out we are not Passat 1.8T 4Mo owners but Audi A4 1.8T quattro owners as of two hours ago.
On our way to the VW dealership my wife detours to the Audi place and we find the perfect car. A 1.8T with the 5sp tip, with the automatic climate control (dual zone in the front) that she cannot live without, the overhead red leds which we both think are neat AND an in dash 6 disc cd.
All for about thirty USD's less per month than the Passat GLS 4Mo.
I will never understand automobile marketing.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Bud said:
Well it turns out we are not Passat 1.8T 4Mo owners but Audi A4 1.8T quattro owners as of two hours ago.
On our way to the VW dealership my wife detours to the Audi place and we find the perfect car. A 1.8T with the 5sp tip, with the automatic climate control (dual zone in the front) that she cannot live without, the overhead red leds which we both think are neat AND an in dash 6 disc cd.
All for about thirty USD's less per month than the Passat GLS 4Mo.
I will never understand automobile marketing.
please share some details on this transaction....I'm going to look at a 4-mo 1.8T 5-speed today and of course would like the A4 if its cheaper..

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
How many more months will you pay for the A4 over the Passat? Don't get me wrong, just curious. This is something similar I had to go through. You don't have to answer this question if you dont want to.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
13 Participants
YetAnother20V
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing