Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All....

O.k., here goes...from what I have been reading on clubb5, and the Vortex, it seems most of you agree that suspension should superceed and come before a chip. Perfect. Now, that being said...

1. I have a brand new 04 Variant, 1.8t, 4mo., 5spd
2. I would like a nice, tight suspension (but not rigid)
3. Not too concerned about "going low"- I'm more of the practical type, and know this car will be chugging up to Vermont next winter, through snow,....etc. So lowering it severely is not of the utmost importance.
4. Will probably be running 17"s or 18"s on this car sooner than later
5. Budget is important, but not the end-all-be-all. I am more concerned I get what I need and do it right.

This will be my first major mod., and then I'm looking forwards to a Wett chip after 1000 or 2000 miles. SO, WHAT SUSPENSION DO YOU SUGGEST FOR MY NEEDS?

Thanks in advance. All the best. :)

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
you do not "have" to upgrade suspension before a chip esp. with 4-motion and a new car (susp. is still in good shape) if you have an older car with high-miles or you are going to hit the track then suspension/brakes is a bigger priority.

I'm not sure if there are any suspension applications yet for the 4-mo except a coil-over package.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
for just a chip, I'd say the stock susp is fine. Hell, I've had my stock suspension since I bought the car back in 99 and I have a k04....so take that for what it's worth.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I'd imagine having a 4MO would not squat and dive while shifting either... nice. Personally, I am a fan of nice suspension and would get that first. But if the new suspension on the 4MO's are decent, get a chip first. I know the new suspension on my FWD sedan SUCKED and was worse than my dad's old caddy.

Kevin

PS: NIce car... I want one

·
Registered
26,794 Posts
You can upgrade the sway bars to the 1BE.
You can add aftermarket shocks (Konis).
You can add 1BE springs.

Any or all of the above would work well.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I do not know if there are any upgrades out yet for the 1.8t 4m. Check with parts at your local VW dealer to see if the 1BE springs will fit your car (thats about .75 drop)

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
I can't imagine the 1.8T 4MOTION's suspension setup being that different from the V6 4MOTION setup. The drop in the front might not be as much, is all...

Only one real choice if you don't much of a drop at all, and that's the VW 1BE suspension package. But if you're willing to go a little lower, you can either run H&R Sports (about a 1.75" drop) with your choice of shocks (Bilstein Sports and Koni adjustables seem to be the most popular) or Eibach Pro-Kits (about a 1.25" drop), also with your choice of shocks (Eibach makes a nice setup called the Pro-System, where they package the Pro-Kit springs with Pro-Damper shocks).

Andy

·
Registered
54 Posts
FYI, as a follow up (for the 1.8T 4Mo wagon):

Koni has shocks, confirmed by Gordon from Koni-USA:
Front: 82 2488 Sport
Rear: 82 2465 Sport
(yes, same as for the V6 4Mo)

According to John at Eibach, they have plans to test springs in June, if it works out they would be available in July.

1BE: according to Driver Gear: "Thank you for inquiring about the Sports Suspension Kit for your 2004 1.8T Passat Wagon 4Motion. Unfortunately, the Sport Suspension Kit is not applicable for 4Motion vehicles. We are not aware of any plans to offer this item for 4Motion vehicles in the future; however, we recommend contacting the dealership regarding this information, as this is a dealership-only item. "

H&R: no schedule to test (as of a month ago), so in theory given their design cycle, they would be a year away from an application, if ever.

Sure hope it works out with Eibach, can't wait to get rid of the caddy feel...Worst case I'll change at least the shocks this summer.

Gilbert

·
Registered
477 Posts
g2 said:
1BE: according to Driver Gear: "Thank you for inquiring about the Sports Suspension Kit for your 2004 1.8T Passat Wagon 4Motion. Unfortunately, the Sport Suspension Kit is not applicable for 4Motion vehicles. We are not aware of any plans to offer this item for 4Motion vehicles in the future; however, we recommend contacting the dealership regarding this information, as this is a dealership-only item. "
Having just purchased VW Sport Springs for my 2003 GLX 4Motion, please allow me to assist here:

Votex/Eibach Sport Springs, part number 3B0-071-677-A-DSP

Please note that these are not the 1BE springs [which are also available for 4Motion applications], they are comparable to the Eibach Pro Kit springs ... but they have a VW part number, so your dealer can't give you too much hassle about them.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OR....

I just purchased KW Variant 1 Coilovers- not yet installed. Got them from
Kevin at Euro Styles East. (Pittsburgh)

Can't wait to get them on- and to follow them with my newly purchased
At Italia Flash Sport 18x8s!

I'll keep you all posted.

·
Registered
54 Posts
DocLightfoot said:
Having just purchased VW Sport Springs for my 2003 GLX 4Motion, please allow me to assist here:

Votex/Eibach Sport Springs, part number 3B0-071-677-A-DSP

Please note that these are not the 1BE springs [which are also available for 4Motion applications], they are comparable to the Eibach Pro Kit springs ... but they have a VW part number, so your dealer can't give you too much hassle about them.
I followed up with VWoA through my dealer on these springs, and here's what I got:

[dealer response]
As per VW-Accessories (Auburn Hills, Michigan) here is what they said

"Unfortunately, we do not offer a suspension kit for any of our 4-Motion vehicles. The new catalog (when released) will have updated information."

The part # you quoted referenced to the Passat V-6 FWD/Wagon , so at this time they do not have anything for the 4-motions, different suspension components so these kits do not fit.
[end]

Don't know what to think... Maybe it's a liability thing, it physically fits but they haven't tried it so they can't officially vouch for it?

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
You might want to check Eibach's UK Site for their Pro-System Kit for the 1.8T 4 Motions. Their U.S. site is terrible... :thumbdow:

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Ask AA (Atomic Alex, a moderator) how she likes the 1BE suspension on her variant - I think she'll sell you on it. The drop is less than most (~1/2-3/4", I believe), so it won't kill you in the winters or on dirt roads much. I think the new rims will help get rid of the stock wheel sidewall slop, too. And I've gone with Koni's over Bilstiens, although either would probably do you well.

·
Registered
477 Posts
g2 said:
Don't know what to think... Maybe it's a liability thing, it physically fits but they haven't tried it so they can't officially vouch for it?
Hmmmmmmmm ...

1) You're in Canada, I'm in the US ... [who knows what difference
that makes, if any]

2) I bought mine from DrewParts [an authorized VW dealer] ... and they
were aware of the *change of heart* on the part of VWoA

3) Moon Phase Error ... ?

Who knows what goes on in the tiny little minds of VW Customer Service
folks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts