Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:mad:

Well... Here's the deal..
Recently I had my car at the dealer for an outer CV-boot replacement ($234.50). Then they told me that a Coolant link flange was leaking ($161.50) and a cam seal was leaking ($475.30). Highway Robbery prices include labor.

Damnit... I'll just bend over and let rover take over!!! I was pissed off course... I opted to just have the CV boot & coolant link flange repaired/replaced...

I was leary about the cam seal replacement... I do notice some oil oozing from the rear of the valve cover area where the cam seal is at. I am wondering how hard it is to clean this area out and replace this $10 part.

I ran across a tool that is supposed to help change the cam seals on my 1.8t ...

But I'd like to know how to do it and if it's not too hard to do.

Anyone have any input on this?

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
I have 18K miles and my valve cover gasket is leaking and maybe my cam seals. 110K I think you are pretty lucky.

·
Registered
314 Posts
My cam seals are beginning to ooze a bit as well. I have 130k, so I'm not too upset although I think I'll put another 20k on before I change (Or if it leaks enough to use oil), the plastic pan catches what it leaks.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Mine went out at 72,000 miles, so I'd consider myself lucky, if I were you.
Dealer charged 450.00 labor to replace it.
Good Luck :thumbup:
Curtis

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've got nearly 100,000 miles and I just had the cam and crank seals, and the valve cover gasket replaced along with the timing belt service. All 3 were noticeably leaky.

As a side note, I also have the common burning oil smell when idling and after the replacement of these 3 seals/gaskets it is still there, so it is certainly a rear seal that causes that problem.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Is this a job that a shade tree mechanic could attempt ? If so please let us know how.
Where do you get the tool? THanks

·
Registered
432 Posts
Quick reminder:
The Hanes manual indicates that there are 2 types of seal. The softer seal with the spring on the inside and the harder seal without the spring. It says you should not grease the shaft or seal when installing the harder seal without the spring.

My experience is that if you grease the harder seal it will seap oil.

Anyone else has experience with this?

·
Registered
346 Posts
I did the seals with my timing belt job. turned out to be a really long day!

did the front cam, intermediate and crankshaft seals, along with the valve cover gasket. the cam seal was the easiest to take care of. we just screwed in a couple of wood screws and tugged with pliers... I think we also picked at it a bit with a pick.. just be cautious not to scratch the shaft or seat where the seal sits in.

I would say it's not that difficult, just needs some patience. couldn't say if that tool above wold make it easier.

the seals should be about $5-8.
btw, my car is 98 w/ 96000 kms

Is there a seal in the back too? Should I have done that one too?

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
chunky said:
Is there a seal in the back too? Should I have done that one too?
Yes, but they're nothing like the ones in the front. They seal the cam chain tensioner.

Yes, you probably should have done them.

However, almost none of the work between what you've already done and the chain tensioner seals is duplicated, so it isn't as if you really screwed the pooch....

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Wow. Thank you guys. This is my problem too. Although I am burning oil as well. Uhmmm.

Sharky - you even think with me burning oil this could be my problem> leaking VC gasket and cam? I recently replaced my VC gasket.. maybe I did it wrong? Can you please point me in the right direction. My gas MPG is almost equal to my oil MPG :lol: Although.. thats not funny. :crazy:

·
Registered
732 Posts
FWIW, I solved the cam seal leak, along with minor valve cover leak on my '98 1.8t by using Auto-RX. The seal leak and valve cover leak fix were incidental. I used Auto-RX to clean the engine because I had a coking/sludge problem. The product cleans everything, including little gunk particles that get under those seals, and restores the seals apparently. In any case, VERY dry engine now! www.Auto-RX.com. For me it sure beats expensive head work, and I get a super clean engine to boot.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Just had mo '00 Variant in for warrantee water pump replacement. The mechanic spotted leaking cam seals and replaced them for me...thought I was dreaming when the dealer called to report it.

·
Registered
802 Posts
this happened to me at around 75K but I was still covered under warranty. it was the rear seals that went and I had the burning oil smell inside the car.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Same thing here! My car just had the 75,000km service and I was informed that the cam shaft seal was leaking but would be covered under warranty.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts