Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read the specs and I've perused the list of approved oils by manufacturer. But....what do you guys and gals actually use?

I have been a loyal Mobil 1 user since 1990 and have never suffered any oil-related failures or problems. But the only grade of Mobil 1 that meets VW Standard 502.00 according to the chart (the one put out in 2004 addressing the oil sludging problem) is 0W-40. Yet it appears that the actual viscosity grade that is most recommended is 5W-40.

So my question is, how many of you run Mobil 1 0W-40 in your 1.8L engines, and if not, what brand of oil available in the US do you actually use? For the past two years the previous owner ran Amsoil 5W-40, which according to the bottle, meets VW 502.00. Yet Amsoil is not on any chart I've seen.

Help me out here!

·
Registered
710 Posts
I buy whichever full synthetic is on sale. Sorry, not much help here, I'll buy any of the major brands. If nothing is on sale, I'll get Mobil 1.

Mark

·
Registered
889 Posts
Oh Daddy, you're jumping in a hornet's nest of oil partisans. This topic gets beaten to death here. I personally run the Mobil 1 0W-40 in the winter and Mobil 1 05W-40 in the summer. I do this because I am under 100K miles and I want to be able to take advantage of the extended "sludge" warranty if I have problems. If I were just to select my favorite oil for the Passat it would be Royal Purple. But Royal Purple is not VW Certified.

If you are still under the extended warranty you MUST use VW certified oil in your 1.8T engine or you get no help if you have a sludge problem down the road.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh Daddy, you're jumping in a hornet's nest of oil partisans. This topic gets beaten to death here. I personally run the Mobil 1 0W-40 in the winter and Mobil 1 05W-40 in the summer. I do this because I am under 100K miles and I want to be able to take advantage of the extended "sludge" warranty if I have problems. If I were just to select my favorite oil for the Passat it would be Royal Purple. But Royal Purple is not VW Certified.

If you are still under the extended warranty you MUST use VW certified oil in your 1.8T engine or you get no help if you have a sludge problem down the road.
Well, I would assume that I was, but if the previous (#2) owner used Amsoil, I may not be covered.

Yeah, oil loyalty is a tough crowd. The trash-talking I heard on the Dodge Forum concerning my Ram 1500 was unreal! But in this case, it's not a simple case of "I've used Joe Blow oil, my dad did, and it's good stuff!" as it appears that THE correct oil is critical to this engine's life and possible warranty coverage.

·
Registered
889 Posts
There is a thread here which explains the sludge issue in detail. As I understand it the problem comes from non-synthetic oil being coked (not cooked) by the heat of the turbo after you shut the engine off. The natural oil sits in the very hot turbo and actually forms a small hard piece of carbon. Over time these "oil turds" accumulate in the bottom of the engine and eventually get sucked into the oil pump and block critical lubrication points throughout the engine.

VW says that full synthetic oil is more resistant to being coked under high temps. And some of the oils, like Mobile, Castrol, have paid VW to test their oil and certify that it will withstand the high turbo temps. These oils meet the VW specification, and as far as VW is concerned, any other full synthetic oil, like Amsoil or Royal Purple does NOT meet the specification.

The truth is that those other brands MAY meet the test, but VW hasn't actually tested them and certified that they do. Like I said, after the 100K miles, I'll probably switch to Royal Purple, just because I had such good performance from it in a VW GTI which my daughter is driving.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is a thread here which explains the sludge issue in detail. As I understand it the problem comes from non-synthetic oil being coked (not cooked) by the heat of the turbo after you shut the engine off. The natural oil sits in the very hot turbo and actually forms a small hard piece of carbon. Over time these "oil turds" accumulate in the bottom of the engine and eventually get sucked into the oil pump and block critical lubrication points throughout the engine.

VW says that full synthetic oil is more resistant to being coked under high temps. And some of the oils, like Mobile, Castrol, have paid VW to test their oil and certify that it will withstand the high turbo temps. These oils meet the VW specification, and as far as VW is concerned, any other full synthetic oil, like Amsoil or Royal Purple does NOT meet the specification.

The truth is that those other brands MAY meet the test, but VW hasn't actually tested them and certified that they do. Like I said, after the 100K miles, I'll probably switch to Royal Purple, just because I had such good performance from it in a VW GTI which my daughter is driving.
Royal Purple is good stuff. A lot of guys I know run it in their Hemis. I've just had such great success with Mobil 1 I've found it hard to switch.

Synthetic oil is great stuff. If it wasn't that much better than petro oil, they'd still use it in jet engines and save the $$$ over Exxon 2380 or MIL-O 23699.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Honestly, you really can't go wrong using ANY 502.00 approved oil from the list. The brand of oil is less critical than a) following proper maintenance intervals and procedures, including checking oil levels periodically b) using the larger spec filter (remember, early 80s Rabbit Diesel) and c) a 1 minute idle after a "spirited" drive to allow the turbo bearings to cool down properly, and not coke up the oil.

You'll find that after 5000 miles, any oil is still going to look good under a lab analysis, but for the sake of the engine, you need to over-maintain the lubrication system regardless.

Buy whatever's convenient. Odds are it'll be Mobil1 0W40 or Castrol 5W40. You don't need to go crazy.

I happen to use Castrol 0W30, but that's in a V6.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.