1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2001 1.8t with 26.500 miles on it

i bought it last month and i expected to hear the turbo now and then
but i dont

could it be broken and is there an another way to see that without taking it to the dealership ???

i dont know anything about the 1.8t since i used to drive a v6

when does the turbo go on , shuld i hear it at all , is it broken ????

please anyone its important

resko

·
Banned
3,535 Posts
are you talking about the vooossshhhh sound?
you are not going to hear that unless you install a Blow off valve.
Our cars recirculate the air to the intake which mufflers that sound

If you are talking about the turbo spinning . i did not hear it untill a got chipped ( replaced my OEM engine controller chip ) for one that allows the engine to make more boost.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you tabamoura

does anyone have more info about this and can anybody answer the rest of my questions

again thanks tabamoura

resko

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
You should hear the turbo spool at about 2K RPMs when you punch the gas. When you are moving say on the highway, punch the gas and you will feel the kickdown when the engine speeds up and at the same time a hsssssssssss sound indicating the turbo spooling.

·
Registered
117 Posts
If you don't hear the turbo, then that is usually a good thing. The stock (K03) turbo is intended to spool fast and make power at low RPMs. Because it is small, it goes about its job with minimal noise. With the stock chip, intake, exhaust, and DV (DiverterValve) the turbo will be very quiet. On my '01 Jetta 1.8T, a cold air intake really made my turbo louder.
If the turbo is making excessive noise in stock condition, it is probably ready to fail. Additional signs could include a check engine light, poor power, oil in the exhaust, and oil on your plugs.

If you are unsure of your turbo's performance, buy a boost gauge kit. I know there is a plethora of options for the MK4 and I am sure that you can find a B5 kit that you will like.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
24VGliGuy said:
If you don't hear the turbo, then that is usually a good thing.
I don't agree - you will hear the turbo hsssss sound. Turn the radio off and roll down the windows, you'll hear it. I can always spot a turbo VW or Audi when I am waiting at the corner to cross the street and you hear the hssss when a car starts accelerating hard at the light - it is unmistakable. I'm not saying it's loud but it's there. If you do not hear the hsssing then I would be concerned.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I don't agree - you will hear the turbo hsssss sound. Turn the radio off and roll down the windows, you'll hear it. I can always spot a turbo VW or Audi when I am waiting at the corner to cross the street and you hear the hssss when a car starts accelerating hard at the light - it is unmistakable. I'm not saying it's loud but it's there. If you do not hear the hsssing then I would be concerned.
It's a very subtle noise. If you are listening for it and know what it is, you realize it's there easier. He's right though. If you turn everything off and punch it, you should be able to hear it. Sounds like a sharp burst of air.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
VWPassat8 said:
It's a very subtle noise. If you are listening for it and know what it is, you realize it's there easier. He's right though. If you turn everything off and punch it, you should be able to hear it. Sounds like a sharp burst of air.
I hear it, especially when I drive thru Richmond and the traffic is low and it echoes from the close-set buildings.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Mine's pretty noticeable, and has been from the start.. it sounds more like a quiet whirring dentists drill than a larger turbo (say, like one on a grand national)
But mine moves really well for stock, so I hear..

If you know what a turbo sounds like, you should be able to hear it.. if you're cruising around 30 MPH and tip in slightly, you should hear the whisssh of it..

·
Registered
237 Posts
Does your car feel like a piece of crap?? If you feel like you've got decent power, your turbo is probably working fine. In my car you can barely here it and you have to know what to listen for. A few of my friends can't hear it. I'll punch the gas and I can faintly hear the zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, but I ask them if they can hear it and they say, "not really". I wouldn't worry about a boost gauge unless you're pretty serious with tuning. Lots of people say they can hear it after they get chipped. Hopefully I'll be hearing it by next weekend!!! :D :D :D

Jonathan

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well i just went out and tested it on a track where we usualy race at

its between two large buildings

i could not hear the sound from a turbo but i do know how it sounds

the car is pretty fast it has an acceleration 0-60 in around 7 secounds my brother took the tiem a couple of times

i am convinced that its working now since its realy fast i did not have the time to test it till today

but still i'd like to hear the sound of it

what kind of chip would i have to buy and how much does it cost

thank you again for all your help guys i am glad i found this forum

resko

1 - 15 of 15 Posts