Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have gotten my hands on a 1.8t b5.5 and plan on putting the engine and trans into my Passat b5.

Only thing I am wondering is. The new engine has a fly by wire throttle body and my b5 has a fly by cable. So after changing the throttle pedals across I assume I have to change the ECU too.

If I am to do this will I also have to swap the chip out of the car keys?

Has anyone done this conversion and can shed some light onto it? Even if I could Frankenstein my fly by cable throttle body on would it run ok?

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
I never dealt with that so i wouldn't be too much of a guide on that, but i know that the drive by wire system requires the ECU and the pedal cluster yes, that's for sure. Has far as the chip, i have no clue but that would make sense yes, coding being all tied to the same car? I dont think you could "frankenstein" that set up but there is always ways for anything.

Good luck with your project!

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Before you hack up the keys, if you do need the new key RFID then you could probably just tape one the original keys to the bottom of the steering column. I'd also do some research at ross-tech.com about the immobilizer systems first since I think they changed between B5 and B5.5. The ross-tech site has lots of good information about how it all works and what parts work with what.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I think they changed between B5 and B5.5.
According to all the reading and forum surfing I've done, the North American B5 didn't have an immobilizer and you can normally just copy the keys. However the B5.5 does and like Iowegian said, some people get away with just taping the chip to the steering column.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
The immobilizer was added to late B5 models (and all B5.5).

I infer vehicles from production date October 2000 had immobilizer, based on Bentley schematics 35 (from August 1999) and 48 (from October 2000).

I really like the idea of taping the RFID chip to the steering column, except in this case... because a non-immobilizer car doesn't have the necessary pickup coil to even see the RFID chip. The upshot of that is that you'll need to swap the instrument cluster and the ECM and install the pickup coil.

You'll see the pickup coil D2 on schematic 48/7. It is conspicuous in its absence on schematic 35, as is J362 "Control module for anti-theft immobilizer."

·
Registered
28,714 Posts
No immobilizer on the late model B5 (2001) in the USA. Even some of the 2001.5 B5.5 did not have Immo, I know one local who did not.

·
Registered
28,714 Posts
I have gotten my hands on a 1.8t b5.5 and plan on putting the engine and trans into my Passat b5.

Only thing I am wondering is. The new engine has a fly by wire throttle body and my b5 has a fly by cable. So after changing the throttle pedals across I assume I have to change the ECU too.

If I am to do this will I also have to swap the chip out of the car keys?

Has anyone done this conversion and can shed some light onto it? Even if I could Frankenstein my fly by cable throttle body on would it run ok?
Is your B5 a non-turbo? If so, you have a lot of work to do. You don't mention your location and the B5 was sold with a non-turbo 1.8 in several countries.

If the B5.5 is a turbo, you can retain the cable throttle and stock ECU/Harness. Hoses and some minor electrical may need to be swapped from the old engine. The trans is easy if it's a manual, but a Tip trans would cause more issues.

Reactions: benzivr6

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey how is it going. I am trying to swap 1.8 to 1.8T in my passat 1999. I would need some tips haha. Thanks

·
Registered
7,365 Posts
Only 1 post per topic, please.

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,768 Posts

·
Registered
7,365 Posts
We're not yelling at you, just trying to guide you with proper forum etiquette. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts