Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe someone can answer this one for me. Does a 1.8T, ATW, have a PCV valve? :confused: I have a small oil leak, plan on changing the valve cover gasket, but thought I maybe I should change the PCV valve too. Called AutoZone, they say one does not exist in their system.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
And there's the real PCV valve under the intake manifold, it's a pita to replace that one and other parts with the manifold in place. I replaced all the parts with the mani off. I can't tell you the needed ATW parts, I have a eurospec 1.8T.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Out of my head I did the following:

-Remove engine cover
-Remove hose from SMIC to thottle body
-Remove IAT sensor harness (on IM) and throttle body harness
-Remove throttle body/gasket (4x metric hex bolts)
-Remove FPR to IM hose
-Remove Hall sensor harness on front of the engine
-Remove 2x fuel rail bolts and pull the fuel rail/fpr/injectors from the IM and set aside
-Remove all other small hoses (3) from IM
-Remove top coolant hard pipe bolt
-Disconnect both solenoid harnesses located under the IM
-Remove base plate holding 2 solenoids under the IM, IIRC 3 bolts, leave the base plate + solenoids hanging
-Remove support bar bolt under IM
-Remove 2 nuts and 8 bolts from IM

Maybe I forgot a detail but now you can remove the intake manifold and your PCV shows up. You'll need at least two new gaskets (head-IM and IM-throttle body) and probably some new hose clamps. IM nuts and bolts, base plate bolts, top coolant hard pipe bolt, fuel rail bolts and TB bolts have to be torqued to 10Nm. Fasten the support bar under the IM after properly torquing the IM.

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
dutch i found that you could replace the pcv valve by unbolting the intake manifold and pulling it forward about 100mm. no need to completely remove all that stuff. just move the coolant tank out of the way.

·
Registered
28,354 Posts
I have replaced at least 4 and never removed the intake. Just be be sure to replace the rubber T where the PCV is inserted as it usually tears when removed. It is easiest to just cut it off the pipes. The forward air tube is also prone to cracking, so having a replacement is a good idea.

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
I have replaced at least 4 and never removed the intake. Just be be sure to replace the rubber T where the PCV is inserted as it usually tears when removed. It is easiest to just cut it off the pipes. The forward air tube is also prone to cracking, so having a replacement is a good idea.
on which engine code? its pretty damn hard to even see down there let alone R&R parts on my engine.

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
THE 1.8T HAS TWO PCV VALVES. Why? Because the PCV system demands negative air pressure, and if it were only connected to the intake manifold then the best it could get is proper ventilation ONLY when your foot isn't on the gas. So there's a secondary PCV valve attached to the turbo inlet hose.

The way the system works is this:

1. When the engine isn't under boost, there's a vacuum in the intake manifold and the PCV system vents into it.

2. When the engine IS under boost, there's positive pressure in the intake manifold, BUT there's a strong vacuum in the turbo inlet hose, so the PCV system vents into the turbo inlet hose instead.

When you replace one PCV valve, replace the other one too. They both take a beating.

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
on which engine code? its pretty damn hard to even see down there let alone R&R parts on my engine.
It's harder than hell to change the main PCV valve without removing the intake manifold unless the valve is new, or you have little-boy arms, or you remembered to grease every joint in the PCV system with silicone grease the last time you worked on it. (it doesn't come this way from the factory.) You're better off bucking up and pulling the intake off the first time you change the PCV valve so you can see what you're doing and have room to maneuver.

·
Registered
537 Posts

·
Registered
28,354 Posts
Both. AEB/ATW and AUG/AWM. A good long screwdriver (or 2) cutting pliers and a box cutter work wonders. Remove the coolant tank and work from both the top and side.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts