Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently completed some work on my engine. Removed the manifold and all related vac pipes etc.This has a TVIS (variable length manifold) that is controlled by a vacuum motor.

The engine now is difficult to start and now when it does start it has no power for about 2 minutes,added to this the brake servo has no vacuum.
Once it gets past this 1-2 min period it is OK but the idle quality is not as good as before.

There is some dirt around the throtle body which may have been sucked into the valve for the Crank vent system.

What is the valve that is paralleled with the servo one way valve do.The pipe goes from the clean air side of the throttle plate through the valve to the vacuum side. However I can't get this to flow at all either way.Is there some significance that it is attached to the servo non return or is the venturi just blocked (or is it controlled by the servo valve)

There appear to beno leaks elsewhere.has anyomne go any esy methods of checking for leaks?

·
Registered
28,326 Posts
We don't have the ADR engine here, but it sounds like a large vacuum leak. There usually is a check valve for the vacuum for the brake booster, it may be bad or the booster (or it's hose) may be the problem.

You can try spraying throttle body cleaner on the connections to check for vacuum leaks. Smoke in the intake is usually the best way to find a leak, but it is not a common job (except on Audi's 2.7T).

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Same engine as AEB and Sensors,different manifold

The ADR is the exact same engine as the AEB except NA and with a TVIS .

I would still like to know what the paralleled valve 058 133 753 B does.It appears it connects the vacuum on the servo with the clean air side of the throttle body but I can't get it to flow air under any conditions(the one way valve for the servo works fine).Does anyone know how this valve works?I guess this valve is used to allow the cranckcase to vent into the manifold under idle condtions.

As for the problem itself .Is it possible to have such a big leak as not cause no airflow read by the MAF for 30 - 60secs.Once this leak or supply closes up the MAF wiil then read correctly an inject correct amounts of fuel.The car will not move in Drive even if the throtlle is fully open.It is a manual throttle.

This could not be causesd by a bad coolant temperature sensor? The car starts badly anyway and has done for a long time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts