Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a bit confused by the service schedule for my 99 Passat.I've been told that the Cambelt needs changing at 80k miles but the service schedule states that the 4 cyl 5 valve engines don't need this until 120k miles!!
Has anyone else had this confusion or am I just being a bit thick??
:crazy:

·
Registered
324 Posts
Do it between 60 & 70k just to be on the safe side. Mine has 65k on it , and i'm going to get it done in the next few months.
A belt replacement is a lot cheaper than a new top end !

·
Registered
52 Posts
2nd that. I purchased a 77k mile '99 (AEB engine code) recently because the tensioner failed and the previous owner didn't have the $ for the fix. The fix involves rebuilding the head, or buying a complete head either new or used.

Change the belt and get the updated tensioner at around 60k miles.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I caught mine just as I was arriving home. I have a '98 1.8t and the timing belt tensioner failed at 65K miles. Luckly the belt didn't break so I was lucky I caught it in time. Plus, I wasn't doing 70 mph on the hwy when the tensioner failed. Go ahead and replace now. You'll be good for another 90K miles. I've heard the tensioners were faulty in '98-'99 Passats.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The belt didn't break on my car either, but apparently it jumped enough to allow the bending of all valves possible!

I think the 2k's have the updated tensioner. However, I have an Alldata account for the 2k, and it shows the same old style tensioner. This may be an Alldata problem though. Hopefully someone with 2k will chime in here.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
6 Participants
TimS2
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing