Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At my 10K oil change , I will be switching to a full synthetic oil. ( I wanted my rings to be good and seated :D ) Is 0w-40 OK to use, or stick with the 5w-30 or 40? :???: I have a 2003 GLS 1.8T :)

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
M1 O-40 meets all VW standards. I've used it on my 1.8t for every oil change after 24k and I now have 78k on the ODO. The only time my car ever consumed oil was once when the dealer filled my car with 10-30. The hot viscosity (40) is important. If the engineers thought that 30 weight was adequate for North American climate they would have speced it. The manual states x-30 should be used for topping off only.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
oil

I went nuts looking for 0-40, I was just about to settle for 5-30. But of all places wal-mart has mobil 1 0-40. After reading about the 5-30 I am glad I did not buy it. How long between changes w/synthetic, this is my first car I will be running synthetic in. Thanks

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
I've used Valvoline Synpower 5w-40, Castrol Syntech 10w-40, Shell Rotella 5w-40 and have finally settled on Mobil 1 0w-40.

I'll be using the Mobil 1 from now on. :thumbup:

·
Registered
11,542 Posts
Michael, it depends on your driving but with the 1.8T, I wouldn't go past 7,500 miles / change. Of course that's just IMHO. Most oil refiners claim synthetic is good for 10,000+ miles per change but not > 7,500 to play it safe with the HOT Turbo.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I've been running mobil 1 0w-40 in my car for 10,000 miles now ( changed it once so far). I was thinking of switching to the valvoline syntec 5w-40 since thats the weight vw calls for. Does anyone think this is a good idea or should I stick with the mobil 1? I trust the quality of mobil 1 a little more, especially since i've heard they're the only ones that produce a "true" synthetic oil anymore, but I've been unable to find mobil 1 5w-40 in my area and besides, the valvoline is cheaper.

·
Registered
258 Posts
For the record, my VW mechanic recommends ONLY Mobile 1 0W40. He is employeed as "werkstadt meister" at the VW dealership. I am sure he knows what's best for "his" VW engines. :thumbup:

·
Registered
245 Posts
glockfan,
Which dealer are you using? I am due for for my first oil change in another 200 miles. I was thinking of going to K-town Ost. I already asked him about it and he also recommends M1 0W-40.

·
Registered
773 Posts
M1 0W40 is fine. What that means is that any difference between it and something else that may be slightly better or worse, is negligeable and, as such, should be ignored. M1 0W40 is known to work well in the 1.8t. I am no longer thinking about oil. I will use M1 0W40 every 5k miles with Mann OEM filters for as long as I'm gonna own this car. Next change, which is just around the corner, should be fun - I'm gonna do it myself ;)

·
Registered
258 Posts
I use Autohaus Koch in Oberursel. It is located near my "regular" home in Bad Nauheim. Actually between Bad Nauheim and Frankfurt. I am sure where ever you go will be fine as long as you get your service stamps in the maintenance book.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Well on my 99' 1.8T I've been running Valvoline Synpower 5W 40 since 16,000 miles and now have 113,000 miles. Chipped since new btw :lol:

Did an oil analysis at 100,000 miles and the engine was in great shape. Been changing at 7-9,000 miles intervals. My oil analysis said my the oil additive package was depleted at my 8,100 mile interval. This is due mostly to the small crank case capacity of the early 1.8T--only 3.7 quarts :crazy:
That's not much oil to soothe this engine...

The Valvoline Synpower is available at any any Napa for $4.49 per quart, part #966. Should be more than plenty for anyones needs. It's proven in my 1.8T so why look elsewhere?

my oil assay is available on www.bobistheoilguy.com, dig deeply.

·
Registered
299 Posts
SilverFlash said:
The Valvoline Synpower is available at any any Napa for $4.49 per quart, part #966. Should be more than plenty for anyones needs. It's proven in my 1.8T so why look elsewhere?
Here's a :thumbup: for SynPower 5w-40. Used it since my 15k oil change. Now at 30k. Looking forward to 100k+ miles. Getting chipped next Tuesday.

Also available at http://www.oil-store.com. 6 quarts for $24.49.

-Craig

·
Registered
91 Posts
See my latest used oil analysis on M1 0W-40 here: http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=001311

I'm not much of an oil expert, but the wear numbers for iron are higher than the universal averages for the 1.8T engine. It also appears that M1 0W-40 thins down to almost a 30wt oil after a few thousand miles. Again, since I'm not an expert I really don't know what kind of problems this can cause. I'm currently running Pentosynth 5W-40 and will do a UOA on it after 5k miles. We'll see then how wear looks. I'm beginning to think too much information can be a bad thing! :(

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
13 Participants
mpaque
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing