Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a 2009 Passat less than a month ago. When I did the test drive, the warning "Check engine Service Now" came on and I was unable to accelerate above 20mph. The dealership replaced the throttle body and after about 2 weeks of having the car the same light came on (no trouble accelerating). I took it to two different places and had them check for codes and it came back "P0221 Throttle / Pedal Position Sensor/Switch Circuit Range/Performance"

I called the dealership and they said they'd take a look at it, but I realize that they don't have to do anything since I bought it "As Is, No Warranty". I'm hoping they care enough about their reputation to help since it was an issue before I bought it.

I haven't had any problems (other than the light) until just now. I was driving back from shopping and all of a sudden the EPC light came on and I began to have trouble accelerating. I turned on my hazards and made it home.

The place where I bought the car only has a mechanic there 2 days a week (1 and a half really) and it's about a 45 minute drive from my house. Is there anything I can do to ensure my safety while waiting to have it looked at by their mechanic? I'm nervous to even drive it there because I have to get on the highway and I am afraid of not being able to accelerate.

If anyone knows of anything I can do, or if I should take it to another mechanic and have it checked out nearby and foot the bill myself please give any advice. I know nothing about cars and I don't have a trustworthy mechanic I can take it to. I've also found that a lot of mechanics will take advantage because I am a female.

While they keep telling me that they will "look at it" they aren't saying they will fix it. The owner actually said when I first called about it and told them the code "we replaced the throttle body right before you bought it". I told her I realize that and that's why I'm hoping that they would be able to help.

The next time the mechanic will be in (next Friday at the earliest) it will be more than 30 days since I bought the car. I'm wondering if this is why they have put me off for so long? While they don't have to do anything, it seems that it would only be right since it was a problem before I bought it. Am I wrong for thinking that?

I would really appreciate any advice! Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
32 Posts
For my experience, with the EPC on my 08 Wagon, I had ECU problems. Eventually I had to replace the whole computer. I pray that doesn't happen. Set me back a good bit.

I realize it is a whole week+ since you wrote this, and today is the day you bring it in. How did you make out?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For my experience, with the EPC on my 08 Wagon, I had ECU problems. Eventually I had to replace the whole computer. I pray that doesn't happen. Set me back a good bit.

I realize it is a whole week+ since you wrote this, and today is the day you bring it in. How did you make out?
Sorry I didn’t see this until now. So they replaced the accelerator and it kept giving me problems. I left it with the dealership for several days and they drove it with no issues. It’s only happened once since then, and I really think that it has something to do with the cruise control. I have made sure not to use it, and the issue has happened only once, and I was able to turn off the ignition, restart and it hasn’t given any trouble like this since. Thank you! I hope that it won’t be an expensive fix. It is actually my son’s first car and I would hate for him to have to drop a bunch of money on it. I will try to remember to post if anything changes! Thanks again for your comment!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts