Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '08 Passat Turbo (red) has bought the farm. Oil pump failed and was immediately replaced 14 months ago. The low oil pressure warning came back two days ago and today the dealer tells me the pan is full of metal and the engine is toast. Everything else is pristine.....the benefits of living in Arizona...no rust.

Quote for a new one is $13,000 + Labor

Hard to believe that you can't get more than 80,000 miles from one of these...yep....80k.

Off to the junkyard she goes.

I've owned my last VW.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
what an f-story, Red also ,sharp looking car AND rust free,same dealer do the oil pump? What a waste, wish I was closer..... (I'm in rust belt) could post on this forum's want ads maybe get lucky ,once again sorry, Chief

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I believe I discovered the cause of my disaster...the Timing Chain and Tensioner debacle. When th oil pump failed last year...the excuse from the dealer was..."well thats odd but it happens" The TSB on the problem already existed...and they did not bother to check the tensioner...now the engine is destroyed. Bastards. And people wonder why no one trusts car shops.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Why would the engine be toast? You have the FSI or TSI? Anyways, mine had the cam follower failure, with metal shavings in the pan. The metal shavings clogged my oil pickup screen, which caused a low oil pressure warning. Cleaned oil pickup tube, replaced follower and camshaft—engine is fine. I’ve measured the clearances myself using Plastigage. But, I’m assuming your valves hit your pistons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts