Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, thanks in advance for any input!
Ok, so for the record, i ididnt replace the head myself. This is a friends car that im trying to help out!
So heres where we are: (just for the record, ive owened and worked on many 1.8Ts before, including head replacement successfully but never did anything on a 2.0T FSI)
So, like i said earlier, its a friends car, car died, he took it to a shop, ...no compression, they pulled the head off, chain snapped, they bought a good used head, installed it and it wont start. So now he has it back home, and thats when i come in trying to help. I have VCDS, and i checked for codes, and had this code:

19545/P3089/012425 - Signal Line for Fuel Pump Electronics: Electrical Malfunction.
Replaced.fuel pump module under seat. No more codes but still no start.
So here wher it gets INTERSTING!!! So i hear the fuel pump prime now, which i did not before. Yesterday, after trying to start The car, i could smell gas on engine area... im like great! Now We got fuel coming up, but no start... so i check for spark...Has good spark, on all 4coils, so i did a cpmpression check... And 1-4 we got 130-140-145- 150. So thats good! So im puzzled and start checking wires again everything looks good, THAN i look at the fuel and evap lines and yes... they were switched!!! Yes, the shop put the fuel feed line to tge HPFP into the intake! And FLOODED the engine ( where the oil goes)and intake parts with fuel now!!! I couldnt believe it. So, i fixed the lines, drained all the oil, installed brand new filter and oil, cranked and to my surprise STILL no start!. So, now we have, fuel going into fuel rail, like its supposed to, good compression, good spark, but no start! Im puzzled, checked all fuses, no codes on VCDS , except MAF, which is open cause intake isnt there, (and yes, i plugged it in and try to start with tge maf, but no start), and still cranks, but no start. I checked timing, and its perfect, pulled ou the VC, checked cams for timing, and its good! I dont know what else to check. I have crank signal on the cluster. When engine turns over, the RPM needle moves. Engine cranks faster than normal. Could this be a oil pressure issue? Any ideas please guys??? Thanks so much in advance!!!

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
car year??? the FSI is direct fuel injection into the cylinder via high pressure pump (not the fuel pump) they are notorious for failure, you'll have fuel from the tank/fuel pump but not to the injectors with any ooomph. high pressure pump is located at rear of engine (FSI is a traverse engine) and toward front of car right by the vacuum pump assembly , easy to check and part is like 35 bucks and has been upgraded due to failures on the TSI with a roller cam. easy to look at ,relieve pressure from fuel pump by slightly opening line until no pressure and disassemble ,you can go to ECS Tuning and look up part so you know what it looks like, symptoms is no start and sounds when engine cranks all the sounds of a timing belt failure....only bad news is if cam is scared , I do not understand what chain snapped, I know I am redundant with a lot of this, high pressure pup etc. but just trying to help

1 - 3 of 3 Posts