Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Yesterday I replaced all of the PCV check valves, the Puck Valve and the &^&*( breather tube and associated crap on our '99 1.8 TIP with now OVER 200k. Replacing the breather tube was a bear, nothing like trying to pry baked on rubber when you can only work by feel as you can hardly see what you're working on under the intake.

The breather tube was cracked and blowing oil onto the block during long drives which gave the sweet smell of burning oil inside the cabin. It took a couple hours just to change it as it shattered in my hand when I grasped it but well worth the effort.

My reason for writing is that the check valve near the ICM was cracked on the black side and actually had a hole in it. My son seems to think it's got a little more power. I'll just tell him it does.....

But, could the check valve have caused enough vacuum leak to prevent full turbo boost? Also, the Puck valve was horribly plugged, also a cause? Just curious.

(We ran dino oil until 98k and the breather tube and attached ALL had little turbo turds in them.)

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
That check valve keeps boost out of the EVAP system (evap is used to vent fuel vapor from the gas tank to the intake). If the hole is on the intake manifold side of the check valve, then, yes, it could be a boost or vacuum leak. If the hole is on the other side of the check valve, than it could be causing a small leak in the EVAP system.

Either way, replacing the check valve is a good idea.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I actually test drove it last night. MUCH faster off the line. That 058 check valve leak must have been on the intake/vacuum side of things. Nice to have a little more "life" in the high-miler!

Maybe I'll even check the stock diverter valve!?

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
The best time to replace the stock diverter is five minutes after you buy the car. That said, 200000 miles later is almost as good.

Tell your son that the important thing is that the car isn't sucking in sand anymore, not that it's gaining an extra 2hp from the repair.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts