Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
code says,, no communication between pcm and tcm... stuck in 4th gear,{auto},,so i removed PCM, and cleaned contacts,,looks good,, still same,,,next i remove pass, seat and find TCM, full of water,,, found a # match, TCM on ebay, that came in tinted plastic envelope,,,looks new,,,, i plugged it in,, and still no change,,,,,So questions....does the TCM need to be flashed or programed,, can they do this from the OBD2 connector,, or need to get at the TCM....OR ANY OTHER THOUGHTS,,,THANKS

·
Registered
35 Posts
The TCM shouldn't need recoding. There are 2 P/Ns available for the BHW Passat, but both are compatible. If your TCM was soaked, there's a possibility that there's some corrosion of the wiring/connector. If the seller was a junkyard, it's possible it at some point also suffered the same fairly ubiquitous damage. If that ends up being the case I have a good TCM , never wet and was working when pulled by me for a manual conversion, but I'd definitely check continuity first.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The TCM shouldn't need recoding. There are 2 P/Ns available for the BHW Passat, but both are compatible. If your TCM was soaked, there's a possibility that there's some corrosion of the wiring/connector. If the seller was a junkyard, it's possible it at some point also suffered the same fairly ubiquitous damage. If that ends up being the case I have a good TCM , never wet and was working when pulled by me for a manual conversion, but I'd definitely check continuity first.
could you explain checking continuity,,, and how much would you like for yours

·
Registered
35 Posts
Checking continuity would involve checking resistance with a multimeter between the pin on the TCM connector and where they terminate (ECU, transmission range switch, etc) to confirm they're passing signal. That's probably overkill, a visual inspection of the wiring back a few inches from the connector should tell you if water tracked back. There are a couple of splices within the TCM wiring harness there under the floor (one is a ground which may be a cause of your issue). I'd check those for corrosion first.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts