Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
I live where that -13 is.
-11 F this morning at my house. Just the temp, no windchill. "feels like" temp of -20

No sh-t. Salt destroys everything.
For the UCAs:
Drivers side pinch bolt - close to 5 hours to get it out
Passengers side pinch bolt - close to 12 hours to get it out

and this VW spent MOST of its life in AZ before going to CO and VT. CO and VT only for the last 4 years.

·
Registered
04 2.8 4motion wagon
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Y, sucks. Hate to heat up garage when it’s this cold. Was going to move on to weird rear hatch latch problems while exposed, and while waiting for parts for wiper motor. . Not going to spend much time on it, it does open.

·
Registered
04 2.8 4motion wagon
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Y, use blue tip wrench a lot. Definitely need to have lots of patients and take time to free up things. I’m like you, will spend hours spraying, tapping, heating if able to, then start process all over again just to make sure I don’t break a fastener. This V6 VW like I said was given to me, first V6 I’ve had, so trying to fix things as I find them but it never ends. Noticed while checking plugs that has valve cover leak, plug holes mostly drivers side half full of oil. Cleaned out oil and put plugs back in. After looking at condition of nuts holding covers on don’t think I want to mess with it, and for same reason I Hope timing belt holds on because I’m definitely not going after that. My 2L Jett’s was enough fun. Back down stairs to put more wood in boiler, take care.

·
Registered
26,821 Posts
I grew up in north central New Jersey and worked as a mechanic there. Every exhaust was cut or torched apart and most studs broke when touched. I also worked outside for Fedex at Newark airport for 2yrs before I moved south. I was out in -8F weather with wind chills of -40, the coldest day on record, Jan 21, 1985. That pretty much sealed the deal to move south.
I picked Dallas as I transferred with Fedex and they had a full time airport crew. Smaller cities had you work a few hours at the airport and then go on the road doing deliveries. I had a close friend from HS going to SMU and my wife's sister lived here as well. Sadly, my friend moved back north after he could not find a job in his field and my sister-in-law was a bitch.

This is our local weather, but we hit a low of 25 a few days ago:

·
Registered
26,821 Posts
Here are my under car pics from 5 years ago with 162K on it. It still looks the same, no rust apart from a few rock chips in the hood, now has 184K.
Original exhaust clamps:

Front end, original sway bar.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Ha. if you go to TitanTalk.com and search for threads by DoubleAR you will see what 15 years of VT will do to a truck.
If I get a chance I will get under my VW and show what 30k miles in CO and VT will do it.
Forecast from a couple of days ago:

Actual temp this morning at my house:

·
Registered
04 2.8 4motion wagon
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Couple chilly days for you PZ, I will take it. After -11 last night it’s a heat wave today around 22. I worked 32.5 years telephone repair outside and I still didn’t smarten up and get the hell out of here. Here is a couple pics of the wagon given to me, looks like they must have done the exhaust recently but there is no steel behind that paint on left fender.
S

·
Registered
04 2.8 4motion wagon
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
What are those square holes on rocker panel for? Jack?

·
Moderator/Administrator
23,739 Posts
What are those square holes on rocker panel for? Jack?
Yes, for the factory "Widow Maker" jack placement. If you still have a flap on one, do not touch it. They are notorious for breaking off when you flip them up or down.

·
Registered
04 2.8 4motion wagon
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
They are both missing, figured there must have been a cover on them originally.
Thanks

·
Registered
26,821 Posts
I am already dealing with rust on my son's car after 6 years between Pittsburgh and Cincinnati. The brakes were the 1st to rust. Surprisingly, the flex joints and exhaust look really good. Probably due to the long distances he drives. 23K last year and he usually drives 2 days a week to where ever he is staying and playing that weekend. Charleston, VW is the most common, but also Ft Wayne, Dayton (nice and close), Pittsburgh, etc.. Plus his annual return here for service, inspection and registration.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Noticed while checking plugs that has valve cover leak, plug holes mostly drivers side half full of oil. Cleaned out oil and put plugs back in. After looking at condition of nuts holding covers on don’t think I want to mess with it, and for same reason I Hope timing belt holds on because I’m definitely not going after that.
I had that happen with an old valve cover gasket and I suspect it was because the PCV system was clogged. I've also had that happen with a new valve cover gasket and in that case I just tightened it a tiny bit more and it stopped.

·
Registered
04 2.8 4motion wagon
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I did snug up the fasteners a little, will check again after I run it a while. Thanks

21 - 38 of 38 Posts