Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
04 2.8 4motion wagon
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Think I finally got my ABS fixed so off to next project. Just tried the rear wiper on this car (that was given to me) for first time and it don’t work. Just curious if there is any common problems with them before I go after motor. When ignition is turned on I can hear hum coming from back there, think from lift gate unless fuel pump makes that type of noise. Reason I think it’s wiper is because it make same noise when I hit the rear wiper switch, hum last about 4-5 seconds. If anyone could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it. Thank you.

·
Registered
752 Posts
That does sound like the motor probably locked up.
Not hard to pop the gate trim off, and put your hand on it while a friend tries to operate it....

Yes, the fuel pump will run for ~5 seconds when you turn the key to 'run;, without cranking the engine. And, it's under the trunk floor.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Not uncommon for these to seize up, the shaft is cold rolled steel, not stainless so corrosion is the problem. Get some extra trim clips ,these are the shorter of the two I believed used on the Passats, 'cause some will be lost of break. Lid has to be open to remove. I put tabs of masking tape on the panel and lid in corresponding points to make re-assembly easy, two people makes it even easier. Motor is designed to "hum" in the sense that currently the shaft is rusted in place, but the motor thinks that it has frozen do to ice/snow etc. , so electrically motor is good. Seeing your garage (nice by the way) you obviously have the mechanical ability to disassemble and do a forensic on it. You will need to press or tweek shaft out (soak with b'laster overnight) and polish , I think there is an o-ring or two also ,or get a used one off Ebay (from a non salt climate), The only trick is that the shaft is hollow with a brass ? tube running up middle for washer fluid. Regardless of the direction you take, liberally grease the heck out of it. Also believe I have a couple of the plastic spray nozzles, you can have them if needed. As a suggestion while you are in there, take a look at the latch handle for corrosion on its switch.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I've replaced several rear wagon hatches over the years (and my daughter's car just got rear-ended in the parking lot while she was at work, so one more to do.....) so I have a small pile of old working motor assemblies, etc. You can have whatever you need for shipping if you can't find one in your local yards.

·
Registered
04 2.8 4motion wagon
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks chief and lowegian, I think I will go after motor and check it out. Im guessing that it gets rusted up due to lack of use and all the corrosive crap they use up here don't help. I should be able to disassemble and clean up. Back in the day we rebuilt everything but now a days its usually just as cheap to find a replacement. Not sure what type of clips it uses for panel, everything different, will find out tonight and try not to break. If I end up needing a part I will definitely get back to you lowegian. If I ever get title for this thing I will put on road for a real test run.

·
Registered
04 2.8 4motion wagon
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, think I will throw in the towel on this rear wiper mechanism. I could get it all freed up and back together but the shaft is really rough, not sure what supports it at wiper end but there’s nothing there and the housing is cracked, no seal left, see the end where washer fluid comes out is broke. Also some water got to circuit board. Will attach some pictures. Any replacement better than others, not VW, car not worth it. Could probably find one in junk yard up the road where I got ABS module but think I would be in same boat due to environment up here. Thanks.

·
Registered
04 2.8 4motion wagon
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Forgot. Chief do I need to get clips from VW? Someone has been in this hatch before. I made out fairly well but there is at least 3 clips missing.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
got them from ebay or amazon ......twice (as first ones I got were the slightly longer ones) I know it is a pain but junkyard is source of the best ones.......OEMs...........only problem there is most of the time you cannot open hatch, (no key or electric) so end up destroying trim getting to them and stuff like wiper and latch motor. I know they use the same style of clip on the door (sill to carpet) trim piece. But do not know if they are the same length either. I think I tweeked the corners of them to keep them from falling out of their respective slots in the trim.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
I also jury rigged an o-ring (maybe two) in between wiper arm and shaft/housing,after unit was mounted in hatch, with some grease to lubricate, to try and prevent exactly same thing from happening again , there is a bunch of mechanical crap going on there since the wiper sprayer tube stays stationary. Almost considered eliminating that tube when I rebuilt mine and having sprayer nozzle mounted to mini bulkhead in the hatch/lid surface itself. The VAG engineers really struggle with water ingress.........too many openings and not enough drains

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
RQJ, I have everything you need. Just get a list of what you need and I'll put it all in a box. Without the wiper arm, it will probably all fit in a medium size USPS priority box. LMK...

·
Registered
04 2.8 4motion wagon
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks lowegian, screwed up trying to send you a message earlier. If housing wasn’t cracked I would rebuild but Im going up to junkyard and look at the one they already have out. Will let you know.

·
Registered
26,977 Posts
That's nasty looking.

·
Registered
04 2.8 4motion wagon
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No sh-t. Salt destroys everything. To bad because this wagon I just had given to me would be decent if there wasn’t rust showing under paint all over the place. Went to re-attach mud flap on drivers side and discovered theres no lower fender left behind there. Oh well its just gonna be a winter rig anyway.

·
Registered
04 2.8 4motion wagon
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I bet you don’t miss it. I have been bitching about the weather in Maine for long time but I’m still here. Something wrong with me.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts