Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
04 2.8 4motion wagon
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do see many threads on subject but not much on wiring and what makes switch active. Assume signal goes back to activate power for latch. Tail light blinks when I use fob but thats it. Before I pull panel just want to know where to check for power. Thanks

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I believe you have a Bentley manual... schematic is on Schematic 82/12. Note the dashed lines are "wagon only" and the asterisk (such as schematic 82-5 rung 46) indicates "sedan only."

I'm not completely sure how this latch system operates--my wagon met the rear end of another car several years ago. But...
  • The motor V53 is powered from the CCM.
  • CCM pin 23/2 is the "release" input that's activated by the switch on the driver's door (on 82-5 rung 46), and also by the combination of F218 & E165.
  • I think F218 is the "rear lid closed" switch, and that pin 1 will be grounded (via common pin 3) when the rear lid is closed, and pin 2 grounded when the rear lid is open. If I'm correct, that's how the CCM knows the rear lid is open (via CCM connection T23/13).
  • If previous bullet is correct, then E165, the release switch, only works when the rear lid is closed.
But feel free to refresh my memory about how this is supposed to work...

·
Registered
04 2.8 4motion wagon
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting, I do not have Bentley, as much as this thing breaks I should have one. Thanks for info, hopefully attempt diagnostics on it this week. Grateful it opens with key.

·
Registered
04 2.8 4motion wagon
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Haven't had chance to deal with hatch issue, now another code just came in. Getting a code a month on this thing.
1 Fault Found:

01222 - Crash Sensor Side Airbag; Passenger Side (G180)

37-00 - Faulty

·
Registered
864 Posts
My super power is cleaning. My rear hatch didn't work - sometimes I got the flashy lights thing from the FOB, sometimes nothing, but the rear gate never worked... until I cleaned it. The amount of dirt in between the handle, rubber shield, and case, actually forced the switch to be permanently in the on position. All worked fine after removing and giving it a thorough cleaning.

·
Registered
04 2.8 4motion wagon
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, will take a look after I try to figure out this air bag light.

·
Registered
9,929 Posts
Haven't had chance to deal with hatch issue, now another code just came in. Getting a code a month on this thing.
1 Fault Found:

01222 - Crash Sensor Side Airbag; Passenger Side (G180)

37-00 - Faulty
Have you disconnected any wiring in the airbag area ?
After fixing the fault you will need VCDS to reset the fault code.

·
Registered
04 2.8 4motion wagon
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have vcds but haven’t touched any air bag wiring that I know of with exception of the repair I did behind right kick panel for corroded Power feed to TCU a month ago, all other connections looked ok

·
Registered
04 2.8 4motion wagon
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tom, I didn’t see option to clear code like I get for engine codes, will take another look, thanks

·
Registered
800 Posts
Do see many threads on subject but not much on wiring and what makes switch active. Assume signal goes back to activate power for latch.
Nope - it's an input to the CCM (actually, three inputs, not counting the lock-status switches on the lock itself.) CCM drives the lock release motor.
Tail light blinks when I use fob but thats it.
Normal for a U.S. B5.5 wagon.
[Before I pull panel just want to know where to check for power. Thanks
Yes!
Tailgate operation is a 2-step process:
1a- Hold 'trunk' button on remote, until horn meeps & lights flash; OR
1b- Pull 'trunk' button on drivers door.
2- You now have 60(?) seconds to go press the 'open' pad on the tailgate to open it.

Since you have VCDS, it's easy enough to check all three inputs, to see if the CCM 'sees' them.
If you have a 'registered' VCDS-Lite, or a full version, you can also do an output test for the lock motor.

One failure that I've seen is that the gate release pad leaks a little water in, and corrodes the hinge that operates that microswitch. It'll jam 'on', making it useless (also should set a fault for 'tailgate release, continuous operation.')

·
Registered
04 2.8 4motion wagon
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you, will try to figure out how to check those inputs with VCDS. At some point I will pull off panel and have a look, the panel gave me a hard time when I replaced wiper motor, hopefully it comes off easier

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,226 Posts
@cuppie Never in the entire time I have owned my 04 (15 years) has my alarm horn "meeped" when pressing the hatch button on the key fob. Only a parking light flash. Did you code that in on yours?

·
Registered
04 2.8 4motion wagon
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Same with mine, only time I get “meep” is locking car. Tail lights flash when I hit hatch on fob

·
Registered
800 Posts
That function may be tied to 'alarm horn on unlocking'. Mine is set to "active" (IIRC, factory default was 'inactive', because both my car, and the wife's former 4Mo wagon, were both 'inactive' for that function when we got them.)

·
Registered
04 2.8 4motion wagon
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Mine is really inactive, key good for now

·
Registered
04 2.8 4motion wagon
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Which is CCM, already replaced TCU and fixed connection on right side. Yesterday I was 50 miles from home and my engine light came on, transmission display went dark again so I didn’t want to but I drove home in limp mode. Haven’t had time to put laptop on yet so can’t wait to see what that says, before it was no com to TCU, had repaired, the CPU in unit was bad. And airbag light on. ( right side ) so frustrating

·
Registered
9,929 Posts
Sorry, I got this thread confused with another thread, but it appears that you have a CCM problem anyway.
The CCM is on the LHS floor, similar to the TCM on the RHS floor.

It looks like you have a problem with the floor harnesses or grounds or the CCM, you can get this fault with or without water ingress.
Locate and fix source of water ingress, if any.
I suggest you completely unwrap all of the CCM harness and pull the wires apart to find the splices, any corroded splices need
to be cut back, soldered, and covered with marine grade heat shrink tubing. (You might need to add short wires to replace what you cut out)
Also check ground connections (1 on floor and on "A" Pillar), and check CCM/TCM and "A" Pillar connectors.

Have a good look at this link, before you start. (Note: This is a UK car, the CCM is always on the LHS)

This thread attempts to bring together all the problems regarding water ingress and their solutions.
Water Ingress and Solutions

·
Registered
04 2.8 4motion wagon
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you Tom, will check out link. Very discouraged with this thing at this point.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts