Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I have an 04 Passat 4Motion with 167k miles. Starting last Thursday it was sputtering when in idle and the CEL came on. Not that bad but slightly, enough that I could tell. Friday it started sputtering really bad, like enough that I could see the RPM drop and come back and when driving I could feel it. I figured it was the spark plugs so I changed them and nothing happened. (although they were really bad and needed changing).

Today the CEL started flashing whenever I let it idle but became steady when I was driving or pushing on the gas peddle. I had the CEL read at advance auto. the codes it returned were P0171, P0300, P0301, 0302, 0303, 0304. Multiple misfires in all chambers.

I looked on the message boards and decided that it might be the coil packs, changed them and nothing happened, (luckily Advance allowed me to return all of them). While at AA I heard this hissing noise coming from the engine while it was idling, sounds like air is leaking from somewhere, I figured it might be the vacuum hose but it does not look dry rotted or anything and I cannot find any holes in it.

Does anyone know what I should do to fix this problem? Is it alright to drive the car still? I am a college student and need to be able to get from apartment to work to school. I am pretty apt at working on my car, done everything from change fuel pump to change transmission fluid. Is this problem something I could fix myself?

Thanks for the help,

Thomas

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh I also put a bottle of engine cleaner in the gas tank and filled up with Shell 93 octane... I do not know if that helps anything lol

Also just got back from AA I purchased some MAF sensor cleaner and plan on cleaning the sensor tomorrow when I have time.

·
Registered
27,431 Posts
You should not drive with a flashing cel. You need to find the vacuum leak causing the hiss and the misfires.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I'm tempted to say coil packs but because its on all cylinders it sounds unlikely. It could be a vacuum leak or a bad MAF, try disconnecting it and see if that changes anything

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,612 Posts
If you near a hissing at idle and see nothing wrong, its probably the pcv valve. There are two hoses connected to the intake Mani next to the throttle body. The one that snakes under towards the engine block contains that pcv valve. Pinch it with vice grips and see if the hissing stops and idle improves.. If it stops, then search about replacement of the valve.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does anyone have a picture of where I need to clamp the PCV valve? Thanks for the quick responses guys, got my work cut out for me tomorrow.

·
Registered
455 Posts
OBD fault codes :

P0171 = System too lean ( Bank 1 ).
P0300 = Single / multi-cylinder misfire detected.
P0301 = Cylinder 1 misfire detected.
P0302 = Cylinder 2 misfire detected.
P0303 = Cylinder 3 misfire detected.
P0304 = Cylinder 4 misfire detected.

:wrench:

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,612 Posts
Clamp the hose anywhere its accessible. Its the lower of the two hoses in this pic iirc.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I found where the engine was hissing,

This is a close up

It appears as if this piece broke off so I removed the part and this is a picture of what it was attached to on the top side:

And here is a close up of the part its self:

If anyone can tell me what part it is, where I could get one (if I can get it at AZ AA or dealership) and if this could be what is causing my CEL and engine stuttering (or if its a completely different problem >_<)

Thanks for the help

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,612 Posts

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,612 Posts
Check valve. It connects to the pcv valve underneath. A generic one from aa or az should work.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
AZ AAP didnt have a check valve that would fit, they only had these little tiny ones. I have to get it by tomorrow so online is off limits, how much is the dealership going to charge for it? also those damn clips that hold it on are a bear to get off haha

·
Registered
27,431 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Pz could you give me a link to az website with that part? I can't seem to find it and neither can the guys at the store.

Thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That fixed the problem! I will order the new part tonight but the pcv valve that pz suggested is working great right now. I has az reset the CEL and then took it for a drive, it did not come back on. Thanks for the help everyone.

·
Registered
27,431 Posts
I found it when I was changing a coolant flange for someone. Went to remove the hose and it pulled right out. Headed to AutoZone and looked through to find one that looked like it would fit.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts