Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
04 2.8 4motion wagon
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have only had this car on the road for a few days and the dome light doesn’t come on. Does not come on when unlocked or when I open door, drivers or passenger, the small ones in back do work. Has a mind of its own, it has come on a couple times but I’m not sure why. The slide switch will not turn it on either. The map lights do work. Same issue with my 03 Jetta, hasn’t worked for the 7 years I’ve owned it so figured since this Passat is its replacement that I would try to figure it out. Did read about it in other threads and someone mentioned a micro switch but since it came on a couple times not sure if that’s the issue unless they do intermittent things. Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had this problem too. I looked at the board tracings where the bulbs 1/4 screw in. I found that there is almost no metal on the board for the bulb. If a bulb has been removed and put back in, it will scrape the metal right off the board and the bulbs won't work. Look at the bulb cap. It fans in one direction. So you don't want to turn it in the direction that scrapes. turn it in the way that looks gentler on the board. However, I had to replace that entire assembly on my 2003 Passat W8 wagon with sunroof.
That's not cheap at $318 but vwpartssource.com has the best price and definitely consider getting a new potentiometer too. I opened mine up and found the same poor workmanship there. That's why it would act up sometimes. I hate sunroofs. They just leak and ruin leather and rust your electric seat connectors and so on. You've got to keep those clean and I don't know a good way. But on these lights, the workmanship is bad and if you know how to fix the boards so the bulb caps can get some power, let me know. There's got to be a better way than replacement.
I'm certain someone could take a super thin piece of stainless, and cut it to the right shape, warp it so it contacts the board at the ends, and use maybe a silicone or Urethane glue. Urethane is super sticky. That's to keep them from peeling off, extend the tracing you made so you can glue and tape the edges down. That's going to be tough. Maybe someone is better at explaining things too. Anyway, to replace that whole thing, dome lights, reading lights and sunroof pot, all in one assembly, it cost me about $318. It's odd that the workmanship is so bad. My car was made in Emden, Germany. Well, sorry for the bad news but I survived it.
I saw a really good specimen at a junkyard just last month. This month I've had a sore throat. Junkyards. I love them but they can be hard on old guys like me. I love my car though.
If anyone has a W8 wagon or sedan to sell, I'd like to buy it. I've gone to the trouble of learning it's weak points and what to do in most cases. It takes a long time to gather that much info. I've made a crusade out of fixing gloveboxes and their doors, and driver's handles that break off. And various other things.
A good stereo upgrade is made by ATOTO. Yes, it's Chinese, but so is everything. Anyway, they have one made for VWs, and it comes with $150 worth of cables and the whole thing is $189. A real bargain. I couldn't get the PRO version with the VW cables because I didn't know it existed. They were just out. So I bought 2, one VW version and one PRO version on Amazon. But the screen is high res. Google operating system, and the USB, aux in 3.5mm, and a micro SD slot are all on the face. The SD slot can take 256Gb or even more. There's more USBs on the back with cables to bring them to the front, It's got built in 4x50watts, a CANBUS box that takes care of steering wheel controls and power retention and so much more. Great responsive sales and so on.
Now I've done it. I digressed a long way there. I don't know an easy way to upgrade the monsoon amp. I figured someone would make a cable to break off from the plug ends of the in and out cables. But I can't find one. So I'm upgrading the amp last. I recently shampooed the carpets, fixed my dash and glovebox.
Carid.com sells leather replacement seat covers. That took a long time to find. I found the best leather treatment for cars is Leather Honey. (Not leather Milk unless it's just a maintenance.) Leather Honey is very oily but the next day it wipes right off and it really works. I learned that lesson too late.
Back to seat replacement covers from Carid.com, you can go with a waterproof material if you want. I should. Not sure what I'll get. They insist I can do the job myself. It comes with a kit, but I'm afraid of starting something I can't finish. I had to remove both front seats. Lesson learned: Always remove the track covers first. But that's why I cleaned the carpets. The seats were out. Damn it looks great. I used a little Hoover spot cleaner with chemical guys stuff. It's so nice. Hard work. Do it in the winter.
I live close to a restoration man so I'll get him to replace the seat covers and the heater on one. I can't do stuff like I used to. Age. A terrible thing.
OK, now I've really shared too much. I hope something helps someone. I've got 5 times more to share though. someday. Good luck folks.

·
Registered
04 2.8 4motion wagon
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Going to take a look at it today, will let you know what I find. Thanks for the link to seat covers, seats in this car are junk.

·
Registered
04 2.8 4motion wagon
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Still can’t figure this dome light out.

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,198 Posts
You'll need to pull the assembly out and diagnose that way. Probing around in situ is a pain. You are getting power to the light somehow since the map lights come on. pop off the main lens and there should be a couple screws underneath it.

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,198 Posts
It's a very simple setup. Once you get it apart, you should be able to see how it works. The main dome light is one festoon bulb. Not much to go wrong there. If anything, there is a worn or broken solder spot on a circuit board or poor connection with the bulb.

·
Registered
04 2.8 4motion wagon
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Probably pull off today and have a look. Mine does gave sunroof. Will post results. Thank you

·
Registered
04 2.8 4motion wagon
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Going in. Guess mice got in there. Thats not good. The person that had car before let sit for year and a half, that’s probably when they moved in. Not sure how they got way up there.

·
Registered
04 2.8 4motion wagon
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Simple as corroded contacts. Remove sunroof switch, plug socket, used very fine emery cloth with feeler gauge to clean between contacts. I also put very light coat of white lithium thinking it would help keep any moisture from between contacts.

·
Registered
04 2.8 4motion wagon
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Was wondering what allen wrench was for. Picture before I cleaned. Guess mice moved out.

·
Registered
4,984 Posts
I've heard that mice can get through a crack that's an 1/8". Supposedly their skeletons are flexible to get through extremely thin crevices. Not saying as fact, but I've seen some pretty unbelievable things when I lived in the country.

·
Registered
04 2.8 4motion wagon
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just seems like a long trip to get up there, must have gone up body next to windshield.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts