Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here ever done a transmission swap from a 2004 audi a4 to a 2003 passat? They both have the 1.8t engine and are sitting in longitudinal form. My final goal is to replace my 5 speed with a 6 speed. If there are better alternatives than what I mentioned, let me know.

P.S.first post hopefully everything is formatted ok

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,768 Posts
This has been covered before, so you can search on this.

FWD or AWD? Both cars have to be the same. Also, others may chime in, but if AWD/4motion, you need to make sure the rear axle ratio is the same as the donor car that the 6-speed came from.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This has been covered before, so you can search on this.

FWD or AWD? Both cars have to be the same. Also, others may chime in, but if AWD/4motion, you need to make sure the rear axle ratio is the same as the donor car that the 6-speed came from.
My passat is FWD.

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,768 Posts
Yes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, what though? I may be wrong, but I don't think the 01E 6-speed trans was ever in a FWD application. Only AWD.

·
Registered
7,365 Posts
Yes, what though? I may be wrong, but I don't think the 01E 6-speed trans was ever in a FWD application. Only AWD.
Pretty that's the case as well.
Where's PZ?

Reactions: VAGguy

·
Registered
38 Posts
All the gasoline powered versions of the passat only came with a 5 speed (other than W8). The C5 A6 did have 1 gasoline FWD 6 speed box , these are found in the 2.7 V6 (AJK, AZA). Finding one is probably impossible though, I think most people who bought Audis got quattros.

However if you look at diesels there are 6 speed manual FWD versions (but not in the US). I have a factory 01E 6-speed in FWD.

There are 2 types of FWD diesel 6-speed boxes, one for the 1.9TDI and another for the V6 TDI. The same identical boxes were also used in the C5 Audi A6. Early 1.9TDI boxes are good, made by Getrag, the later versions were made in house by VW and are cheep copies of the Getrag - many of the copies have diff bearing issues which create a wining noise. The V6 TDI boxes are all reliable.

Here are the stats, gears 1-3 are identical between the 2
1.9TDI (ELN/FRK) 2.5TDI (DQS)
80MPH RPM (Gear 6)2513 RPM 2350RPM
Gear 113.56313.563
Gear 27.3207.320
Gear 34.7664.766
Gear 43.6173.375
Gear 52.8302.583
Gear 62.3252.174

Not sure they are a great match for a 1.8t, 6 gear at 5000 RPM would give you 160MPH, a little high?

Also 5 speed boxes use a 228mm clutch, while 6 speed boxes use a 240mm clutch. But there are people who have gone from a 228mm 5 speed box to a 240mm 6 speed box in Europe.

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,562 Posts
Someone educate me here. My elder son's 2002 A4 1.8T Quattro has a 5-speed, not a 6-speed. My younger son's 2000 S4 2.7T did have a 6-speed, though.

·
Registered
28,714 Posts
Pretty that's the case as well.
Where's PZ?
My wife had shoulder surgery 10 days ago. It's been rough as last time (2 yrs ago) I was somewhat healthy. Same shoulder, this time she got cadaver parts to repair it.

Audi used a 6sp manual FWD on the B6-B7 A4 at some point, but it did not have the speed sensor. They used the ABS sensor to determine speed. A lot of people were talking about swapping one in when Audi decided to put them on clearance for less than $1K. Some on AudiZine did swap them in and used a GPS readout for speed, but never integrated them to have a working speedometer.
Audi also used the 5sp and 6sp manual on the Quattro models, but it was for different submodels.

·
Registered
7,365 Posts
My wife had shoulder surgery 10 days ago. It's been rough as last time (2 yrs ago) I was somewhat healthy. Same shoulder, this time she got cadaver parts to repair it.
Cadaver parts? :oops:

A lot of people were talking about swapping one in when Audi decided to put them on clearance for less than $1K.
I remember that. It was like a big fire sale. Sure wish I would have had some money laying around back then. I would've snapped a few up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts