Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

81 - 96 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I'd say swapping the joints on an axle is no harder than removing the axle. If you can do one you can do both. It's a messy job but no special tools are required, with the possible exception of tools to get the clamps on/off and maybe snap-ring pliers.

·
Moderator/Administrator
23,739 Posts
Right. My point of doing this was to retain the factory hollow axle shaft and have new joints for less than it would be to order new joints alone.

·
Registered
04 2.8 4motion wagon
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Will do. Took out today for long drive mostly back roads for something to do. Lock down up here.

·
Registered
04 2.8 4motion wagon
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
VAGguy, you’re post just showed up. Figured the reasoning was to keep stock axles. Will look around for complete axles, hopefully they all have same quality CV joints. Thanks

·
Registered
26,821 Posts
If you have trouble finding the larger 4Mo axles, a FWD V6 axle will work just fine.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
The only thing I would say is that the inner tripod joint can wear and I don’t know where to get replacements for it. Plus it’s a serious PITA to get the end cap off to work on the inner joint. Given my recent success swapping out the axle, plus successes on other vehicles, I wish I had just swapped the axles out 3 years ago rather than go to the trouble of rebuilding them.
Much as I would like to support Raxles, they’re too expensive when Chinesium GSP ones can be had for $120 for the pair.

·
Registered
04 2.8 4motion wagon
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
It seems like most people are advising me to keep stock hollow axles over a solid replacements. Still considering my options. I agree Raxles are way to much $ for this old rig. Thanks

·
Moderator/Administrator
23,739 Posts
The only thing I would say is that the inner tripod joint can wear and I don’t know where to get replacements for it. Plus it’s a serious PITA to get the end cap off to work on the inner joint. Given my recent success swapping out the axle, plus successes on other vehicles, I wish I had just swapped the axles out 3 years ago rather than go to the trouble of rebuilding them.
Much as I would like to support Raxles, they’re too expensive when Chinesium GSP ones can be had for $120 for the pair.
Easy. Just put through UPS and have it shipped back to you. The cap will be popped off inside the box. Ask me how I know, lol. It took 4 tries of getting a Cardone axle from Amazon before I got one intact. Otherwise, flip it with the inner joint end facing up and tap the other end on the floor. The inner joint will beat on the inside of the dust cap and pop it off.

·
Registered
04 2.8 4motion wagon
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
This is off subject but what should a 2.8 with 172K miles on it get for MPG? Just checked for first time when I filled it today.

·
Registered
26,821 Posts
Depends on the driving and weather. Stop and go was 8-12. Short local driving was 12-20 mpg. My 6 mile commute was 20-22mpg as it was 1 mile of stops every block and then highway at 65-70. Highway at 80mph was 22mpg. Slower speeds greatly improved mpg, but I rarely went that slow around here. I think I got one tank at 28mpg doing closer to 65mph, but at higher elevation. I would expect a 2mpg increase for each 5mph under 80. I know after the swap it was closer to 3mpg increase for each 5mph drop from 80.

·
Registered
04 2.8 4motion wagon
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
Thanks PZ, I guess I’m in the ball park on where it should be. Today it was 21, mostly just driving around some in town and rural roads 40 to 50ish. My Jetta wasn’t great even though it was a 4 cylinder but definitely tell the difference with this V6. It’s a rocket compared to the gutless 2L Jetta.

·
Registered
04 2.8 4motion wagon
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Beginning to think all VW,s shift weird. The Jetta did and this one also but different issues. Taking off it shifts very fast from what I think is 2nd to 3rd and sometimes stopping fast is will clunk downshifting. Have seen many people on this forum talking about shifting issues. When I first got it I changed all fluids including transmission and filter. Then ran and drained one more time and refilled so I figure around 2/3 of total fluid got changed. My scan software says something about low voltage, something to do with transmission, but can’t remember exactly, so I will look again and write it down.

·
Registered
04 2.8 4motion wagon
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
Looks nice, would go visit but they don’t even want me to leave my house.

81 - 96 of 96 Posts