Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

61 - 80 of 96 Posts

·
Moderator/Administrator
23,739 Posts
With the suspension supporting the weight of the car (ride height) push and pull up and down and twist the axle shaft at the inner CV. If there is any play more than 1/8" that is noticed between the shaft and joint, that might be it. Make sure the movement is coming from the joint, not the output flange.

·
Registered
04 2.8 4motion wagon
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
OK. Will look around for my ramps I haven’t seen in years since I put lift in. Then I may be able to squeeze under. Will admit that when I checked axles before it was on lift so may not have play since suspension was hanging. Thank you.

·
Registered
04 2.8 4motion wagon
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Was asked if axles where solid or hollow, just put up on lift and took a look. They look stock to me, probably original. Still haven’t found my ramps to check axles with weight on suspension. Feel fine on lift.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
This is my experience so I am not trying to generalize. The factory ones (yours look original) tend to wear out (get a little loose) where as the knockoffs go South in rapid fashion. Vibration at predictable speeds, as you state your's is, are harmonic in nature and most likely a CV, just tired...

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
It’s the inner joint that develops the play and causes the problem. The label quality is first class: takes a lickin’ and keeps on stickin’!

·
Moderator/Administrator
23,739 Posts
I would just source a new joint. You want to hold onto those OEM axles as long as you can.

·
Registered
04 2.8 4motion wagon
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Will look in to the joints. On line I mostly just see complete axe replacements.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Didn’t feel like tire balance but pulled all 4 and balance is perfect.
I've got 3.0 Audi A4 Quattro that had what felt like a drivetrain vibration, to the point that I was concerned that the driveshaft center bearing mentioned by PZ. When my car was in a shop for AC compressor replacement, I asked them to try to find looseness at that bearing, but they said it was tight. Later I had a set of new tires installed, and the vibes/road noise went away. The old tires were balanced, but defective somehow.

·
Registered
04 2.8 4motion wagon
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
If vibration didn’t come and go I may lean towards tires. But vibration comes and goes like turning a switch on and off.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
If vibration didn’t come and go I may lean towards tires. But vibration comes and goes like turning a switch on and off.
That is the essence of harmonics. The vibration occurs until another component "cancels" the source of the initial vibration's frequency,i.e. your tires,rims,internal differential,cv's,engine.

·
Registered
04 2.8 4motion wagon
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
thanks cchief, doesn’t help me narrow it down so guess I will look in to CV joints first.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
See the bottom post in the linked thread in case you haven’t already. Confirming that the new axle (still have to do the drivers side) solved the problem. I don’t disagree with the OEM axle argument, but I don’t see myself owning Edward long enough to justify the price.

·
Moderator/Administrator
23,739 Posts
and t
That is the essence of harmonics. The vibration occurs until another component "cancels" the source of the initial vibration's frequency,i.e. your tires,rims,internal differential,cv's,engine.
More likely, IMO, is Resonant Frequency, which you see a lot of in audio. Instead of something cancelling out, other things in the vehicle that have the same resonant frequency amplify the vibration. Could be why it only happens at certain speeds.

·
Registered
408 Posts
It’s the inner joint that develops the play and causes the problem. The label quality is first class: takes a lickin’ and keeps on stickin’!
after 15 years, half the frame of my truck is falling apart....the stickers on the driveshafts...look like they were new yesterday.
Whatever they use on the stickers, coat my frame with that shit.

·
Registered
04 2.8 4motion wagon
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Inquired with “Raxles” about rebuilding my stock axles, big $, $450, not worth it on a 16 year old car that is my third mode of transportation. If I replaced axles and it still had vibration, would not be happy. Just going to run it, avoid highway, and think about it. Thank you all for your advice.

·
Moderator/Administrator
23,739 Posts
While not the BEST option, I have been known to buy new axles, swap CV joints with my old axles, then return the new shafts with worn CVs for the core. Cheap and all you really lose is the time and effort to swap the joints.

·
Registered
04 2.8 4motion wagon
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Never thought of that, is CV joint replacement pretty straight forward? Couldn’t find video of anyone changing them because everyone just buys some POS complete axle replacement. I have more tools than most but not much in machine shop stuff. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Re 'Galloping Gertie' aka The Tacoma Narrows Bridge - when I was young I actually had a piece of the bridge that my grandfather found there. It wasn't much, just a small silver rod but it was cool watching the movie that my uncle the professor had. Now days, I work with this stuff in my day job although on a much smaller scale. Avoiding the conditions that make the vibrations is a good way around the problem until you want to tackle it. It could well be interactions between various parts although the 'usual suspects' are obviously the best place to start.

61 - 80 of 96 Posts