Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It sounds so much like a power steering pump that I replaced the pump and put in pentosin. The noise is better, but now it sounds like my compressor is possible where the sound is coming from. Has anyone ever experienced this?

·
Registered
5,256 Posts
Has anyone ever experienced this?
Sure they have; you are talking about 16 year-old parts. But you put in PS fluid and the "noise is better"? Then I wouldn't be so quick to blame the AC compressor. You don't say which engine your have, but it matters. An air leak on the intake line to the pump can cause a lot of noise.

Edit: I see that over a week ago you said the engine is the 2.8 V6. This makes it more likely to have an un-discovered air leak than the 1.8T, because of the pump's high position on the V6, rather than down low on the four. A leaky hose connection on the 1.8T's PS pump will obviously leak fluid, being much lower than the reservoir. The V6 PS pump inlet connection is at or perhaps a bit above the reservoir fluid level, so you won't notice fluid leaking from a loose connection. On my '96 A4, the inlet line is a steel tube with rubber hose crimped on at each end, and those crimps became loose as the rubber hardened and shrunk from age. Automotive Silicone sealant and new clamps fixed it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So what happened when i replaced the PS pump is it just placed less load on the engine. So im sure thats why the whine sounded different. I put a long screwdriver on the a/c compressor and i hear the noice. But i also hear the noice through the driver side fan pulley. When i removed the serpentine belt, the noise goes away altogether. I spun the a/c compressor with my hand and it does not feel smooth. So im thinking its the compressor. Which is crazy, because ive never heard one wine like a PS pump before.
Do multiple vehicles share the same compressor?

·
in dire need of an organic chemistry lesson
2,349 Posts
it would be a bad AC pulley bearing.
Would a bad pulley whine or grind? I has a badly whining PS and when I completely flushed it twice and put new fluid all the noise was gone.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Would a bad pulley whine or grind? I has a badly whining PS and when I completely flushed it twice and put new fluid all the noise was gone.
If the compressor itself is making noise, that noise will go away entirely when the A/C is turned off. If it's the clutch (pulley) bearing, it'll make noise with the A/C off (because the pulley is freewheeling), and go away with the A/C on (because the pulley is then locked to the compressor.)
And, when the A/C starts cycling, it'll come and go.

·
Registered
5,256 Posts
My B6 3.0 had a nasty, whirring bearing noise whether AC is on or off. I don't know how the B5 magnetic clutch pulleys are supported, but on my A4, which has a swashplate type compressor, the pulley/bearing assembly is pressed onto the front of the compressor housing. There is no radial force on the compressor shaft due to belt tension- only the torque being transferred from pulley to shaft through rubber coupling pieces (which are supposed to shear if the compressor locks, saving the serp belt). So whether or not there is shaft resistance from compressing the Freon, the pulley bearing experiences the same loads.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does anyone know where I can get a a/c compressor clutch and pulley? The one off of VW is $800 and that’s ridiculous.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Absolutely do not buy a Valeo or Denso part through VW, unless you just Ike donating outrageous mark-up to the middleman. Most online sites charge reasonable markup, like FCPEURO

1 - 11 of 11 Posts