Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Just curious what pressure you're running in the stock Michelin MXV4 Plus tires. I checked my tire pressure after getting the car back from the dealership and noticing it wasn't handling "correctly" - after checking the pressure I found all four corners at 59psi! :mad:

Abe

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
rpaller said:
I run between 32 and 34 PSI all around on OEM 195/70(75)/R15 (I forgot the sidewall ratio :oops: )
You sure of the 70/75 sidewall height? They must be like truck tires. I think the OEs are 65.

The fuel flap mentions 28 for half load and something higher for full load. Also different for front and rear wheels. I changed to 205/60/15 tires and run between 32.5 and 34.5 all around for half or full load. It is not bouncy. But then I have stock suspension. Except for deep gorges, they are very forgiving.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The max tire pressure for the Michelin's is 51psi, so they were technically over-inflated by 8psi. I was pretty pissed off last night when I discovered this. I wonder if any damage could have been done by over-inflating the tires that much?

Abe

·
Registered
7,591 Posts
The recommended tire pressures shoud be listed on the inside of your little gas door.
I don't think this is true anymore, for the 2004 MY+. There's been a number of threads running along these same lines. I've read somewhere that VW is only posting the full load/high speed tire pressure now. Maybe it has to do with the Ford Exploder/Firestone tire debacle?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Guys, that's nothing. When I picked up my new 03 Passat 1.8T 5MT a few weeks ago, the tire pressure on all four tires were a whopping 22psi, way down from the recommended. I believe the correct pressure is at the back of the fuel door. Mine's 28psi on half load and think 30 psi on full load. Of course mine's stock 15" Contis. Best recommended rotation would be around every 6Ks.

Michael

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.